Question Recommendations for reinventing and modernizing my whole hifi setup...

tbinnington

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Hi - very broad question here.

I've always used some combination of integrated amp (usually vintage Marantz, Sansui, etc) and large cabinet loudspeakers for my setup (always liked Advents, recently been using handmade Omegas). I used it exclusively for CD audio, with a rotary changer.

I've just downsized my home and am reconsidering all the space required for such a setup. Streaming with Tidal has also begun to play a larger role in my listening. So I'm wondering if a whole reinvention/getting with the times is called for, with my audio setup.

Such a system would need to accommodate, ideally natively, both my main music sources (CD and Tidal), and I'm open to also using it for TV audio and multiroom audio. And it should be small in form-factor, ideally with few separate components. Other than that, all options tabled. Been exploring small amps with small wall-mounted speakers, some of the Naim offerings (eg. Uniti Star) seem appealing too. Budget <$3k all in, ideally <$2k. If you were in my shoes, what configurations would you consider?

Thanks so very much!

Hi - very broad question here.

I've always used some combination of integrated amp (usually vintage Marantz, Sansui, etc) and large cabinet loudspeakers for my setup (always liked Advents, recently been using handmade Omegas). I used it exclusively for CD audio, with a rotary changer.

I've just downsized my home and am reconsidering all the space required for such a setup. Streaming with Tidal has also begun to play a larger role in my listening. So I'm wondering if a whole reinvention/getting with the times is called for, with my audio setup.

Such a system would need to accommodate, ideally natively, both my main music sources (CD and Tidal), and I'm open to also using it for TV audio and multiroom audio. And it should be small in form-factor, ideally with few separate components. Other than that, all options tabled. Been exploring small amps with small wall-mounted speakers, some of the Naim offerings (eg. Uniti Star) seem appealing too. Budget <$3k all in, ideally <$2k. If you were in my shoes, what configurations would you consider?

Thanks so very much!
what other options do you have that you can actually audition?
Are those US dollars! Asking because you are not going to get a Uniti Star for your budget.....

tbinnington

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
what other options do you have that you can actually audition?
Are those US dollars! Asking because you are not going to get a Uniti Star for your budget.....

Thanks! Yes, USD. Rough budget, and not sufficient for a Uniti Star, but I'm open to similar solutions. Also, have seen them advertised used for a little over $3k.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
If you like the naim options I think it would be remiss not to consider moon by sim audio, specifically the ace line possibly easier and cheaper for you get hold of too. Though missing the cd side of things you could purchase an outboard Transport/ Blu-ray player connected digitally.

tbinnington

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Thank you. The Audiolab and Quad look interesting. Thanks for the Moon rec, too, and like the creativity of suggesting a separate CD transport.

All novel ideas welcomed: if you were me, would you trade off built-in for separate CD transport, would you consider an acceptable tradeoff to have a totally all-in-one system (no external speakers) like a Naim Mu So, with separate CD, etc. Wired vs. powered/wifi loudspeakers. Who knows, maybe there are configurations of different equipment types that I just don't know about. Thanks again!

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Depends on what you like. Kef ls50 wireless would be a better bet and an example of of another option open to you at that price point. Though one step too far for me. I’d rather keep the speakers and internals at this moment in time separate. But that’s just me.

In all honesty you don’t really need a cd player, just a hard drive and a cheap cd drive for the computer and time to record your music to the hard drive, then connect that to a server of some sort or directly to the naim/moon or similar. But I still find a disc spinner sounds better, old dvd players work really well as transports and can be had very cheaply at this point. But ultimately less convenient then pressing play on a network drive.

the muso would be a choice you need to make and weather you could live with that. I couldn’t. Sonos play 5s I could though.

loads of options just depends on you and which direction you’d like to go in.

Reactions: tbinnington

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
The Omnia from Audiolab uses the play-fi streaming platform. It works and they made some improvements but it would probably be fair to say it's not the most elegant solution out there. Other than that the Audiolab looks good and it uses the same amplification of the 6000A but with a slightly better DAC. The 6000A sounds good and is my pick for new amplifiers under £1k leaving heavily discounted alternatives aside. The Omnia looks a decent package but you should research Play-fi and see if any of the known issues are a deal breaker for you.

Alternatively you could get a 6000A with the matching CD transport and a separate (non Audiolab) streamer for less. Less elegant arguably but cheaper and with none of play-fi's drawbacks.

Alternatively, you could buy something like

And add a CD player from Project if smaller form factor is important (or from Audiolab if not)

Buying an all in one almost always involves compromises. Having said all this, my only problem with the Omnia (or any other IAG products such as Quad) is the PlayFi platform. Some folks like it though.

Last edited:

tbinnington

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Thanks all, fantastic advice. I like the idea of the LS50 Wireless (II) with separate CD transport. Interesting to hear Sonos mentioned in this thread, especially as a competitor to Naim. I wouldn't have expected that.

I'm learning a lot about what equipment is available, and I'm coalescing around having maybe two components, to keep footprint and form factor small: that could mean KEFs with separate CD transport, Naim Star with passive speakers, etc. But not, for example, Naim Atom with passive speakers and separate CD transport (3 separates).

I have always preferred physical media, but part of that is just fear/sense of overwhelming at having to set up some private server, learn my way around Roon, etc.

rainsoothe

Thanks all, fantastic advice. I like the idea of the LS50 Wireless (II) with separate CD transport. Interesting to hear Sonos mentioned in this thread, especially as a competitor to Naim. I wouldn't have expected that.

I'm learning a lot about what equipment is available, and I'm coalescing around having maybe two components, to keep footprint and form factor small: that could mean KEFs with separate CD transport, Naim Star with passive speakers, etc. But not, for example, Naim Atom with passive speakers and separate CD transport (3 separates).

I have always preferred physical media, but part of that is just fear/sense of overwhelming at having to set up some private server, learn my way around Roon, etc.
If you really, really want CD playback, then you're only left with the likes of Uniti Star or the Audiolab Play + CD transport (however, do NOT underestimate the importance of good software when it comes to streamers, that's why I'd be a bit careful about the Audiolab).

For what it's worth, even if I love Naim's sound (mostly), wtih your budget, if you can't go for the star, I'd spend it on a Rogue Audio Sphinx V3 + Quad S2 or Revel Performa 3 M105 (or 106 if you have a big space), hide a Bluesound Node or Sonos Connect in a cupboard, and get a NAS (network attached storage) also tucked away somewhere, where you can rip CD's from your PC or laptop, or store hi-res downloads from sites like HD Tracks etc. and have a local library to run alongside the streaming bit for when your internet drops or something. Or you can just stream from your phone via bluetooth to the bluesound.

But in any case, I'd go best amp+speakers for starters, + decent streamer, live like that for a couple months, and get a cd player later if you still feel like something is missing. And why not buy local, since you get way more value from purchasing US based stuff.

If you think it through and decide you don't need CD playback, an Atom will do you just fine. Or even cheaper, a Bluesound Powernode. Not fancy, but decent enough.

tbinnington

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Thank you! rainsoothe: Maybe you have a point (see if I still want CD audio), but I think I want to keep the number of separate components down to lower than that.

tbinnington

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Hey again, all: what about four separate Audio Pro C10 MkII (two stereo pairs)? Seems like I could easily connect a CD transport if I wanted, too.

Based on what's been said so far, might this tick my boxes? Or is audio quality just a huge compromise?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts