Coronavirus

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Sigh....it feels like this is a never ending circle right now, and the government hasn't still learned from the previous 3 lockdowns. If you allow people to travel abroad or mingle until the vast majority of the planet get's vacinated, it allows the virus the ability to mutate constantly in the populations of multiple nations, and the developed vaccines which scientists put so much work into made redundant. The obvious answer to this is:

1. Bar international travel. Full Stop. For 12 - 24 months
2. Assist airline industry that will inevitably be impacted by this (still better than bailing out the UK economy for 6 months at a time.
3. Once rates go down, open up, but only domestically and let life get back to normal until the world sorts itself out.
4. Co-ordinated global re-opening

This though will probably be waaaaayyyy to much to hope for :(

Unfortunately the UK through the previous 3 lockdown bailouts has put us on a pretty precarious position with regards to how much we can borrow in relation to our GDP (they blew it in the previous lockdowns), so BoJo appears to be going for herd immunity now....

God help us all. Stay safe everyone.

jjbomber

Sigh....it feels like this is a never ending circle right now, and the government hasn't still learned from the previous 3 lockdowns. .. The obvious answer to this is:

1. Bar international travel. Full Stop. For 12 - 24 months
A politicians job is to get elected. That overrides everything. The government have learned that people must go on holiday or they will get voted out.

So everyone knows another lockdown is coming in September. People would rather miss work than miss their holidays. The politicians have appeased the voters. They have learned from the previous lockdowns.

I fear we're straying into politics, but if that's all you expect you don't really have the right to complain about anything a government does - if you legitimise populism over principle. I may frequently be disappointed, but expect rather more than you do!

Talked to a friend who manages a ward at a local hospital last night. She confirmed that the admissions are a lot less serious than used to be the case, and that the overwhelming majority are the Great Unvaccinated. I won't go so far as to say what I really feel!

jjbomber

Talked to a friend who manages a ward at a local hospital last night. She confirmed that the admissions are a lot less serious than used to be the case, and that the overwhelming majority are the Great Unvaccinated. I won't go so far as to say what I really feel!
Numbers here are getting scary. Main hospital is full, second hospital has converted the maternity unit to a COVID ward. Opening everything up for the summer holidays. What could possibly go wrong!!!

D

Deleted member 196306

As I understand it you get it 6 months after the second jab which in my case will be January.

One wonders if this is how the future will be, given that the UK COVID rate seems to be just bobbling around the 1 in 70 mark, even if fewer people are dying (and mostly it's those who weren't jabbed).
Hope so, I would really like to get it with my flu jab.

DCarmi

There has been a clinical trial where flu and COVID jabs were done at the same time. If successful then you could have a "conveyor belt" process much like the mass vaccination centres, one jab in each arm. There's plenty of unused space in towns you could set up a centre in and pharmacies can do the flu jab so perhaps the COVID one as well.

I guess it depends on how frequently we need the COVID jab, going forward.

D

Deleted member 196306

There has been a clinical trial where flu and COVID jabs were done at the same time. If successful then you could have a "conveyor belt" process much like the mass vaccination centres, one jab in each arm. There's plenty of unused space in towns you could set up a centre in and pharmacies can do the flu jab so perhaps the COVID one as well.

I guess it depends on how frequently we need the COVID jab, going forward.
Yes, I thought I heard something about the two jabs at the same time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts