Converting bi-wire cable into single wire cable

Hi all,

I've posted this question in another forum also. But my dad has bi-wire speaker cable but for his current speakers he needs only a single wire configuration. So rather than buy new single wire cables, I re-terminated the bi-wire cables to the configuration shown in the linked photo (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-i3k0tXbWl3WWMyUDR0YTZvLVU), to now make them single wire cables. They are just screw type banana plugs. Didn't do any soldering just yet. I'm definitely not an expert, but it seems non-ideal splitting each positive and negative terminal signal into the two smaller cables, even though the signal starts and ends in one banana plug.

So for example, looking at the black banana plug in the attached photo, from the amps negative terminal would the signal split between the black cable and the green cable, before arriving at the speaker end negative terminal? Since the signal is split between the black and green cables in this example, will one split signal arrive at the cable end before the other? It gives me an uneasy feeling that it might not be the ideal thing to do, but I don't know the 'why' part, so just after some advice and explanations if possible?

Thanks heaps *biggrin*

spiny norman said:
No, that'll be absolutely fine.

Hi spiny norman, cheers for the reply.

Just wanted to know your thoughts about splitting the positive signal into two cables, and splitting the negative signal into two cables.

What's the reason you think this is a non-issue? I'm just trying to learn and understand the reasons, just so I can explain it clearly to dad ;-)

Cheers mate, much appreciated

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Basically you've doubled the amount of copper carrying the signal. This can only be good and will not cause any problems. The length of cable involved cannot cause any timing or other issues.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Miles said:
What's the reason you think this is a non-issue?

Non-issue because you're simply creating what is effectively one cable with a greater cross-section. Not sure there'll be any audible benefits over insulating off one of each pair of cables and just using one to carry the signal, but at the same time there won't be any drawbacks, either.

Thanks for the reply guys. Yep doubling the cross sectional area is a positive.

But I was more concerned (or curious) about the splitting of the signals alone each of the postive and negative signal paths. Rather than one continuous electrical loop from amp to speaker and back via the postive and negative terminals, isn't the signal getting split along the way? The black and green cables in the photo are separate (for the 'negative' signal path) and the green and purple cables are seprate (for the 'positive' signal path).

If I could strip the black and green plastic right off and twist the actual wires together, and same with the green and purple wires, it would be straight forward. But I can't without taking the outer shielding (and obviously don't want to).

I hope I'm making sense with my question? If not, someone let me know and I'll try and re-phrase my concerns.

Thanks for your patience guys and sorry for being annoying. I'm still trying to get my head around this splitting of the positive and negative signal paths. My head is not quite there yet :)

Hi Vladimir,

This bi-wire cable is the Chord Carnival Silverscreen, which has a 4 x 15 AWG conductor configuration. So I believe now that I've 'doubled up' the bi-wire cables into single wire, they are now in a 2 x 12 AWG conductors config, per cable.

What are your thoughts Vladimir, regarding splitting the negative signal path into two separate cables (the black and green)? And the same splitting of the positive signal path into two separate cables (red and purple)? And performance issue that you can see?

Appreciate your opinion

Cheers

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Miles said:
Hi Vladimir,

This bi-wire cable is the Chord Carnival Silverscreen, which has a 4 x 15 AWG conductor configuration. So I believe now that I've 'doubled up' the bi-wire cables into single wire, they are now in a 2 x 12 AWG conductors config, per cable.

What are your thoughts Vladimir, regarding splitting the negative signal path into two separate cables (the black and green)? And the same splitting of the positive signal path into two separate cables (red and purple)? And performance issue that you can see?

Appreciate your opinion

Cheers

I've used Audioquest Type 4 in that configuration and had no performance issues. Looks good to me.
thumbs_up.gif

Alantiggger said:
Simple common sense isn't it ?    (and before 'anyone' starts, I am not trying to be nor being cheeky.)

It is just wire at the end of the day.

Hi mate, thanks for that. I mentioned it earlier, but if I strip the black and green plastic off and twist them together, it would definitely be straight forward to me. But the splitting of the postive terminal signal path into two separate cables and the same for the negative terminal signal path, is what has me curious.

I now know it works and as Vladimir pointed out there are cables like the AQ Type 4 where people have used this twisted pair config (I hadn't actually come across this before Vladimir pointed it out to me).

But I guess I'm still looking for an explanation of what is happening when the signal gets 'split' into the two separate cables? Would just love to understand what is happening to the signal as it leaves the terminal from the amp, gets split into two cables and then joins together at the speaker terminal. Just out of curiosity. I'm less concerned now but still intrigued to understand.

If you or anyone else can explain it to me I'd be very appreciative! :)

Cheers guys

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
An explanation? Ok, some of the signal goes down one wired, the rest goes down the other, they arrive at the other end at the same time. Electrically there is no difference between what you're doing and using a single wire.

I'm not sure what else you want anyone to say, there isn't much more to it than that.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
An explanation? Ok, some of the signal goes down one wired, the rest goes down the other, they arrive at the other end at the same time. Electrically there is no difference between what you're doing and using a single wire.

I'm not sure what else you want anyone to say, there isn't much more to it than that.

I think the OP was imagining the signal went 'up' one cable and back 'down' the other one. (Maybe confused by so-called 'directional' arrows).

The AC signal changes polarity at the frequency of the musical signal (up to tens of thousands of times per second) and the net 'travel' of any electrons is virtually zero. They aren't really going anywhere much because the direction of current is changing constantly. There is no 'direction' (not even an overall one). The speakers being driven are pushed in and out in time to the signal frequencies like pistons.

If the signal did 'flow' from amp to speakers in one set direction the speakers might catch fire before the amp blew up or vice versa. Either way there'd be a lot of smoke and smells and some serious questions to be answered.

Thanks mate. Yes my understanding of the electrical principles involved isn't at all great, hence I was looking for a little more technical explanation of what's happening. But your explanation proves to me that my assumption about directional flow of the signals was all wrong! This explains why splitting the cables from the terminals makes no difference.

Thanks again mate. If anyone else out there was confused (or maybe it was just me ;-) ) at least this may help them too ! :)

Cheers

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Miles said:
Thanks mate. Yes my understanding of the electrical principles involved isn't at all great, hence I was looking for a little more technical explanation of what's happening. But your explanation proves to me that my assumption about directional flow of the signals was all wrong! This explains why splitting the cables from the terminals makes no difference.

Thanks again mate. If anyone else out there was confused (or maybe it was just me ;-) ) at least this may help them too ! :)

Cheers
Don't worry about it. There's people out there far 'worse' than you, who for example really genuinely think turning the cable round can make a difference to the sound, and you can't shake their belief. You can't shake their "I know what i've heard and you can't convince me otherwise", but all it really tells me is they don't even have the most rudimentary grasp of how electricity.

TRENDING THREADS