Connecting Headphone Amp To 2nd Zone Of AV Receiver

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking for a headphone amp to connect my AKG K701s to. My Onkyo 606 has a 2nd zone output via phono. Would I be right in thinking that I could connect the headphone amp to the 606 via that? Can I just mute the amp and let the headphone amp control the volume to headphones?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If the 2nd zone output is set to fixed, then the volume control of the 606 will become void, and you can use the volume control of the headphone amp to control the headphones.

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking a bit more about this.

Long term, I'm going to have a home cinema room so won't need headphones for that. My TV will be in the living/dining area and I don't want surround sound there so will use a pair of active speakers there, something like ADM 9.1s. I will supply music via a sonos with a SkyHD box and a blu-ray player for tv and films.

I had planned on getting a DAC and headphone amp to go with my TV. The headphone amp acting as a simple pre amp for a pair of active speakers. The problem is that there is no remote for volume control. Very few headphone amps seem to offer a remote. The only way round it I think is to insert an amp into the chain between the DAC and headphone amp connecting the headphone amp to the amp via a tape out? The headphone amp's volume would be set to a memorable postion and the volume to speakers and headphones controlled by the amp?

Would this work?

Would the amp have a detrimental effect on the signal going to the headphone amp or would the signal just pass through?

I was also having problems working out how to connect a turntable due to a lack of phono inputs. Adding an amp should solve this too? Connecting it to the amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts