Connecting an AV Receiver to a Sky Box

Eyre200366

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I am new to What Hifi and have a problem with my system. My equipment consists of a Samsung Smart TV UE32F5500, Sky HD Box and a Pioneer AV Receiver VSX S300 and can only connect the Pioneer Receiver to the Sky Box via the television as there is only one HDMI port on the back of theSky box and although i have tried a splitter it didnt work as presumably you cant split the signal. Anyone got any ideas?

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
you connect your sky box via hdmi to a hdmi input on the pioneer,and then a hdmi cable from the hdmi output on the pioneer to hdmi in on your tv,there should be a hdmi input on the pioneer marked sat,set receiver to that input.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Clearly correct dude but does the OP want to use the tv/sky box when the amp is off? I use the aerial socket for the tv daytime and hdmi as described when using the amp. You could use scart or other in the same way. Some splitters (often powered) will work but not simple cheap ones. If others cant help ask Maplins or Currys etc and re5urn it if it doesnt work. I had one which worked (still unsold on Amazon I think) but chose the other option to save on box count.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The easiest thing would be to take the HDMI from the Sky straight to the TV and an optical connection from Sky to the amp, that way you'll get proper surround when you want it and can still use the TV speakers if you don't want the amp on.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Eyre200366 said:
Do i still need an HDMI cable from the TV to the Amplifier though?

If you follow The_Lhc's suggestion

The_Lhc said:
to take the HDMI from the Sky straight to the TV and an optical connection from Sky to the amp

and you don't have any other components (eg Blu-ray, games console, etc) connected via HDMI to the receiver, then no, you don't.

Mind you, you might want to run an HDMI from the TV to the receiver so you can get sound back from the telly to the Pioneer using the Audio Return Channel feature (eg when watching programmes from the TV tuner rather than the Sky box), and the Pioneer does also have standby passthrough, so an incoming HDMI signal will be passed to the TV even when the receiver is in standby.

So really you could use either the Sky box -> HDMI -> receiver -> HDMI -> TV route, or the Sky box -> HDMI -> TV, Sky box -> optical digital -> receiver one. The cable cost will be about the same, and the performance will be, too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts