Connect Samsung s21 fe to car USB

robdmarsh

I've been enjoying sounds in my car from my iPod classic playing via the docking connector to the USB connection in the car and it sounds great. The thing is that I think the iPod is coming to the end of its life and sometimes won't connect at all. In shuffle mode it plays exactly the same songs in exactly the same order until it gets to track maybe 140 and then starts all over again. The classic is from 2008 and it owes me absolutely nothing, it's been a fantastic piece of kit.

Now though that I have a subscription with Amazon HD I want to know how I can connect my phone up to the car stereo. Obviously I can use bluetooth and stream but I'd use all my data up in hours and I think SQ is not as good (actually I've tried it and I don't think it sounds as good as the iPod hardwired which is only 320kbps). Can I connect with a wire from the charging port on my phone to the USB input (which I think is type A, the big one) and play downloaded songs? Also will any old wire do or do they vary in quality?

Last edited:

DCarmi

You can download selected tracks, albums etc to the device. If you build play list(s) then you can ensure you only play tracks from downloaded tracks and therefore not use data.

As for connection to your car stereo, take a look at this Samsung help page, which is hopefully...erm.. helpful:

It does depend on the car/stereo. If using USB a decent quality cable is all you should need.

abacus

The charge port (If USB) is also the data port (Like any USB device) so the phone should be recognised when you plug it in. (So long as it is not a cheapo any USB cable will do)

If your car and phone has Android Auto you will also be able to control your phone from the car display.

Bill

robdmarsh

Thanks guys for that. No, the car definitely doesn't have Android auto, far too old for that. What it does have is a very decent quality stereo with Harmon Kardon speakers. Ipod classic always sounded great and I'll sure miss having 7000 songs! But I won't miss what's been happening recently with the same songs playing over and over again.

robdmarsh

The charge port (If USB) is also the data port (Like any USB device) so the phone should be recognised when you plug it in. (So long as it is not a cheapo any USB cable will do)

If your car and phone has Android Auto you will also be able to control your phone from the car display.

Bill
Thanks Bill. All the usb c to usb 2.0 cables on Amazon talk about fast-charging and not about playing music but they mention data transfer so does that mean playing music? Sorry if this is a bit of dumbies question.

Another thing has just occurred to me. I want my phone connected to hands free bluetooth so won't any media playback default to bluetooth. Or can I set it up so it uses bluetooth for calls and messages but usb for media playback?

Last edited:

abacus

Thanks Bill. All the usb c to usb 2.0 cables on Amazon talk about fast-charging and not about playing music but they mention data transfer so does that mean playing music? Sorry if this is a bit of dumbies question.

Another thing has just occurred to me. I want my phone connected to hands free bluetooth so won't any media playback default to bluetooth. Or can I set it up so it uses bluetooth for calls and messages but usb for media playback?

If you have a look around you will probably find you have a cable lying around, also the charging cable that comes with the phone is usually a full USB cable. (Plug it into your computer and see if it is recognised if you want to check first)

It will depend on the Android version (Or iOS version) the phone and the app you use as to whether it can be done as you require, but to be quite honest you should be able to use hands free via USB instead of Bluetooth, so shouldn’t be a problem. (Bluetooth is used as it requires no input (Once set up) whereas you have to keep plugging the cable in with USB)

Bill

robdmarsh

Just tried with a cable connected to my car USB, got the message USB device not supported. It still says it's charging the phone, however. I suppose I can still bluetooth downloaded playlists to the car stereo so all is not lost but I don't think it'll be as good a sound quality as the iPod classic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts