Confused where to start.....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi! I'm planning to upgrade my system but do not know where i will start. My system is harman kardon AVR635, cambridge audio 640c v2, yamaha dvd, my main speakers are bw 604 s3, 601 s3 for surround etc. But I seldom use them on movies. I always use it for music. Is it a good idea to change my speaker first or should the cd player or amplifier? Which one should i go? Actually I have some speakers that I've heard already and i'm impressed like the monitor audio PL100 and bw 805s and i would like to hear also the sonus faber cremona auditor. If its the speaker that I need to change which one? Do I go for 805s or the more expensive MA PL100 or sonus faber. Need help...... thanks!

A

Anonymous

I would say your speakers are the strongest link in your system. You should definatly buy a amplifier first, your hardon kardon av amp is a massive weak link in your system. Whats your budget.

A

Anonymous

yeah.. you need a stereo amp
since you already got 640c why dont you go for 640a..

A

Anonymous

Budget is up to 2000. What amplifier can you recommend? How about if I will get a power amp and connect it to av amp is that possible? And about the cd player any suggestion if I want to upgrade it? Thanks a lot.

John Duncan

With 2000 (sterling, I presume?) you could make a big improvement for music. Adding a power amp will not really solve your problem though - you should get a stereo amplifier and connect the pre-outs from your HK receiver into a line-in on the new amp, thus having a dedicated stereo amp, leaving the HK to handle surround - best of both worlds.

Therefore I'd leave the speakers and receiver where they are and look at getting a CD/Amp combo which you like and which sound good to you with the B&W front pair - Creek, Primare, Cyrus, Roksan, Rega - even Marantz - all fit the bill with money left over.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:

Therefore I'd leave the speakers and receiver where they are and look at getting a CD/Amp combo which you like and which sound good to you with the B&W front pair - Creek, Primare, Cyrus, Roksan, Rega - even Marantz - all fit the bill with money left over.

....John forgot Arcam. There are some great Arcam deals around at the moment. You could get a CD192 CD player, and an A70 amp and still have change from £800.

Arcam works well with the B&W speakers (I should know. Check my sig.) Just make sure you demo all the options before forking out your hard earned money.

A

Anonymous

2000 pound? wow! what a big budget for amp and cdp. My suggestion is Naim Nait 5i and CD5i Mk2 and you have another 500 extra...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts