Confused - Sub Set-up??

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone help with this??

I prefer to listen to music in stereo and movies obviously in surround sound set up as below:-

Movies[/b]

Sony BDP-S5000ES connected to Arcam AVR350 via multichannel inputs with the Sony decoding sound onboard

Music[/b]

Sony BDP-S5000ES connected to Arcam AVR350 via stereo analogue audio inputs, amp set to stereo direct

The Sunfire HRS-8 sub is connected to the Arcam via pre-amp out

Question[/b]

For movies – As the sound is decoded in the blu-ray player, do I have to set the sub using its own controls on the sub itself? (ie, Arcam settings by-passed?)

For music – Is the sub controlled by the amp settings?

Bit confused!! Any thoughts / advice on the above greatly appreciated

Rob

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
For movies, I'd use the bass management in the player to adjust the subwoofer level, etc, as the Arcam's bass management has no effect whatsoever when the multichannel analogue inputs are use.

The subwoofer output will as far as I recall be bypassed when using the stereo direct setting on the Arcam, which disables all bass management in the receiver, and feeds full-range audio to the front left and right speakers.

Your best bet should you want to use the subwoofer for music as well as movies would be to ignore the extra stereo input to the Arcam and stereo direct, and stick to using the front left and right channels of the multichannel output from the Sony. But this will lose the benefits of stereo direct.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts