Stereo Amp + AVR. Youtube Video with Stereo Amp Audio Left/Right. Is this possible ?

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Movies

AVR (with Pre-outs) powers all the 5.1 channels. Video by default is available.

Music

Stereo Amp powers the Left/Right. Video can also be made available ?

Essentially want use AVR for Movies and the Stereo Amp for Music with the same Left/Right speaker of the 5.1 setup but also should display video i,e playing videos from You tube on TV and listen to the audio via Stereo Amp.

Thanks.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
It sounds as if you want one pair of speakers connected to two amplifiers.

It is possible, if you use some kind of switching unit to switch in each amplifier.

Rather than have two amplifiers. Why not purchase one which performs well in movies as well as music.

It is possible, if you use some kind of switching unit to switch in each amplifier.

Rather than have two amplifiers. Why not purchase one which performs well in movies as well as music.
My thoughts exactly.
You're going to have to switch the speakers as well somehow

daveh75

You don't need a switch if the AV amp has pre-outs. It also easier if the stereo amp has a unity gain/AV bypass setting, but it isn't necessary.

This^

I've been down the using a stereo and AV amp together rabbit hole and ultimately, it's frankly a unnecessarily complicated, expensive and pointless set-up that has no sonic benefits.

KISS and just buy a competent AV amp.

Messiah

Essentially want use AVR for Movies and the Stereo Amp for Music with the same Left/Right speaker of the 5.1 setup but also should display video i,e playing videos from You tube on TV and listen to the audio via Stereo Amp.
It's doable but maybe not in an ideal way for what you want.

Been many years since I did this but from memory:

-Connect L/R pre-out from suitable AVR into an RCA input on Stereo Amp (SA).
-Connect L/R speakers to SA.
-Select the input on the SA that you just connected the AVR to and set volume at 12 o'clock (easy reference point)
-Complete calibration of the surround on the AVR so that all levels are set accurately.

Going forward, whenever you use the AVR you need to ensure the relevant input is selected on the SA and volume set to 12 o'clock.

To get the benefit of a separate stereo amp you should then connect sources like a CD player to the SA so that the AVR is not part of the chain and you have a bog standard stereo set up. (Be mindful to adjust the volume).

The difficulty will come if you want to watch a YouTube video etc. Unless you run a separate audio connection to the stereo amp (which is likely to be terrible if you use any sort of RCA output) then you are not going to get the full benefit of a separate stereo amp.

I hope that makes sense.

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Dont have a separate 2 channel source to connect directly to Stereo Amp.

want to use Firestick 4K with aim of Video on Youtube + Music on Stereo Amp. Will be using a Firestick 4K for both Music+Movies.

No Cd player & No Blu-ray player. Everything from the Firestick 4K, that's the only source.

Equipment

75" U7K
Denon X3800
Marantz PM8006
Firestick 4K Max

The Mapping

Center/SL/SR -------------------> AVR
Front Left/Right AVR Preout --->Stereo Amp

Firestick 4K --->TV eARC------>AVR
Firestick 4K---->TV Optical--->Stereo AMP

in above scenario whenever want to watch video (Youtube) + listen audio (Stereo Amp), what will be the fastest/smoothest way to switch between Movies and Music ?

will i need to get into TV menu and change output from HDMI to Optical and vice versa ?

thanks.

daveh75

Dont have a separate 2 channel source to connect directly to Stereo Amp.

want to use Firestick 4K with aim of Video on Youtube + Music on Stereo Amp. Will be using a Firestick 4K for both Music+Movies.

No Cd player & No Blu-ray player. Everything from the Firestick 4K, that's the only source.

Then it really is a pointlessly complicated and expensive excercise with no benefit. IMO.

I would just stick to using the AV amp for both movie and music duties

Reactions: Symples and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts