Comparison of lossless formats?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Almost missed your cue there, Mr Everard.

Bored-Baby-1284.jpg

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm being a bit irritable, my apologies. Sort of. Just wanted a pic of someone looking a bit gumpy. It isnt, i should add, significant that its a baby.

I also referenced my last post.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
al7478:but people could also use the search function

Just for the record I did thoroughly search the relevant sections of the forum but didn't find what I was looking for, thus I posted in the hifi section.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Tear Drop:...and besides, I've just done some listening tests and, well, best not go down that road on this forum, lol!

Ooh, go on, you know you want to...

P.S. if you go to Computer Audiophile, you will see that there are one or 2 people who say they hear a difference between lossless files, and between lossless files and uncompressed files. Tho many will weigh in saying otherwise.

Whats that you say? Cat? Pigeons?

Nope. Ya got me there. No idea.

A

Anonymous

Tear Drop:Just for the record I did thoroughly search the relevant sections of the forum but didn't find what I was looking for, thus I posted in the hifi section.

I asked a question along the lines about formats a while ago, here is that thread.

manicm

the_lhc:manicm:Eddie Pound:

If you rip a CD to Apple Lossless, then convert it to WAV, and compare the bits to a AccurateRip verified WAV from EAC you'll find that they are exactly the same.

I hope that in the computer audio world some of the non-differences discussions of yester-year will disappear.

I'm using iTunes on Windows and will download ALAC files - is it simply setting rip option to WAV and converting to get the full bit-perfect rip?

You could do that but it would be pretty pointless, the whole raison d'etre of lossless formats is that they're already delivering bit perfect audio, so there doesn't seem to be much use in converting from one bit perfect format to another, except for hardware compatability purposes.

No need for an essay or to question one's intelligence - I wanted to confirm as I wanted to create a CD from the download using extracted WAVs - and I don't like iTunes CD burns - prefer other burning software.

manicm

Tear Drop:...and besides, I've just done some listening tests and, well, best not go down that road on this forum, lol!

You wouldn't be the last - but what equipment are you using, do you have a lone DAC?

John Duncan

Oh go on do, I'm in on my own tonight...

(btw, the search function is working better now)

manicm

Which brings me to the point of Linn's DS players - let's forget their cost and relative complexity - but Linn are adamant that all uncompressed or lossless formats would sound exactly the same on their equipment and I can see why:

They've designed their players to be independent of one's network quality i.e. it is an all or nothing affair - if the network is playing up the music won't play as simple as that - there will be no stuttering or skips a la Sonos or Squeezebox. So their principle is that you always get top-notch playback or nothing at all - I like this idea.

Linn certainly have put some thought into the architecture of their players - and unlike using a PC they have removed variables such as OS audio setup and configuration issues. Another pro/con is that their players have built-in DACs - the bottom two can output digitally to, but not the top two.

What I'm getting to here is that lossless formats may sound different because of PC audio subsystem variables (hence ASIO etc) - and Linn's idea was to bypass this completely - their players 'pull' the files from a NAS drive and play them, whereas a PC would 'push' the audio to a DAC/soundcard. Linn's players definitely have the advantage here

I would like to see other makers follow Linn's route but with a better user interface, and of-course better affordability.

John Duncan

manicm:They've designed their players to be independent of one's network quality i.e. it is an all or nothing affair - if the network is playing up the music won't play as simple as that - there will be no stuttering or skips a la Sonos or Squeezebox. So their principle is that you always get top-notch playback or nothing at all - I like this idea.

I think this is an atrocious idea...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
How is taking the audio from a NAS better? I mean, if you have an external dac you have taken the pc out of the loop, surely...? Or are you talking about avoiding the whole kmixer thing...?

And how bad is the skipping with Sonos/Squeezebox?

manicm

JohnDuncan:manicm:They've designed their players to be independent of one's network quality i.e. it is an all or nothing affair - if the network is playing up the music won't play as simple as that - there will be no stuttering or skips a la Sonos or Squeezebox. So their principle is that you always get top-notch playback or nothing at all - I like this idea. I think this is an atrocious idea...

Why is this atrocious? If your WLAN is setup correctly one should have no problems, so how often will it have dropouts? Personally I'd rather take Linn's approach - if my WLAN is playing up I'd rather sort it out than have dodgy audio. It's no riskier than playing from a PC.

Linn have just taken a different approach that's all.

manicm

al7478:

How is taking the audio from a NAS better? I mean, if you have an external dac you have taken the pc out of the loop, surely...? Or are you talking about avoiding the whole kmixer thing...?

Hi al7478, yes Linn's approach is not even wireless, their player has to be CAT5 wired to the router and then actually pulls the files from the NAS so the component plays it locally. It's completely unorthodox and hence the setup is complicated and they insist a dealer does it. Or you could use a PC instead of a NAS too.

I don't totally agree with their architecture but it's interesting and if their forums are anything to go by buyers have been enamoured by the sound quality if not the user interface experience.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
manicm:al7478:

Hi al7478, yes Linn's approach is not even wireless, their player has to be CAT5 wired to the router and then actually pulls the files from the NAS so the component plays it locally. It's completely unorthodox and hence the setup is complicated and they insist a dealer does it. Or you could use a PC instead of a NAS too.

I don't totally agree with their architecture but it's interesting and if their forums are anything to go by buyers have been enamoured by the sound quality if not the user interface experience.

Thanks. But wouldnt any wired system be reliable? Why is it so complex (tho i may not understand your answer lol!)? And in what way completely unorthodox?

John Duncan

manicm:
JohnDuncan:manicm:They've designed their players to be independent of one's network quality i.e. it is an all or nothing affair - if the network is playing up the music won't play as simple as that - there will be no stuttering or skips a la Sonos or Squeezebox. So their principle is that you always get top-notch playback or nothing at all - I like this idea. I think this is an atrocious idea...

Why is this atrocious? If your WLAN is setup correctly one should have no problems, so how often will it have dropouts? Personally I'd rather take Linn's approach - if my WLAN is playing up I'd rather sort it out than have dodgy audio. It's no riskier than playing from a PC.

Linn have just taken a different approach that's all.

Because I guess it's like saying unless your Sneaky is set up on a proper rack with a proper mains lead fed from its own mains spur, it won't work.

Garbage In, Nothing Out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts