Comparible speakers to B&W 683

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Gidday,

I have just auditioned a few B&W speakers this morning and need a little help. I have compared the 684 683 and CM7 and feel the best one for me is the 683. The 684 wasnt really in the same league so fell away quickly, the CM7 was better but it lacked in the bottom end not even picking up some notes and rolling others off really quickly. It was an easy speaker to listen to as the mid and highs are very smooth but it felt as though something was really holding it back. The 683 was a lot more impressive, nice bass and punchy in the top end.

I would go for the 683 but I am a little bit worried that its a little too bright or in your face and may become fatigueing over time with heavier music. I listen to a wide range and found the 683 exellent for all but the heavier stuff, It doesnt help that I have a Rotel 06 pre/power combo as it is considered bright from what I have read. I have a cheap CD player at the moment, would it be possible to tone it down a bit with a better one?

I am wondering how the MA RX8 would go, some say its brighter than the 683 others say its not. Unfortunately I dont have the opportunity to listen to any MA stuff where I live. Other speakers I have listened to are Boston Acoustics, Martin Logan, Richter, and Definitive technology BP7004 (whats everyones thoughts on these 7004's).

Any help on the RX8 would be appreciated, Cheers

A

Anonymous

Have you been listening in a Sevenoaks?

Reason I ask is the brands you've listed are just the sort of mundane stuff they sell!

Your Rotel Pre/power deserves better from it's source and speakers.

The B&Ws are typical "hifi" speakers, all power, all bass, very little subtlety, the MAs are just aggressive, and the Rotel won't control the others adequately, result again lack of low level detail.

Try a pair of Rega RS5s if you want detail at low/medium volumes, or Focal 816Vs if you like going loud. Both are open sounding speakers but if they are CONTROLLED properly (which the rotel can do) and fed with a composed source (which by the sounds of it yours isn't - and when I say composed I don't mean Arcam soft) the brighter balance will not be an issue.

Just don't chuck "paint stripping" cables in there!! (QED, ATLAS etc)

A

Anonymous

Thanks mate,

I will have a look into the brands you have mentioned but will have trouble listening to anything unless I get away from here which means a plane flight.

The budget is $2000- $2500 AUD for speakers and I will definately be upgrading the CD player in future but all in the right time.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts