Comparible active 5.1 setup

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
More of academic interest, I have a decent amp/speaker setup costing £3k-£3.5k. Has anyone experience of a similar active 5.1/7.1 setup with a lower box/cable count? Hope this doesn't start the usual controversy but I just don't see the sums working.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
More of academic interest, I have a decent amp/speaker setup costing £3k-£3.5k. Has anyone experience of a similar active 5.1/7.1 setup with a lower box/cable count? Hope this doesn't start the usual controversy but I just don't see the sums working.

While an equivalently priced active 5.1 setup would certainly sound better, it would be more faff with cables, as they would be thicker and would require 2 for each speaker. (Unless you use silly audiophile grade cable in separate runs and wrapped in unnecessary plastic weave).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Maybe then a reasonable question? Cabling more difficult. Box count?

Box count is probably the same, unless you were previously using a Processor and power amps, if you were using an integrated AV amp then you're simlpy replacing that with a processor, cable count is actually double, as previously mentioned as you need a signal cable and power cable to each speaker.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Maybe then a reasonable question? Cabling more difficult. Box count? Acheivable for £3k? Any AVI owners ?

£3k not possible at the moment [AVI-wise].

However when the 5 series comes out then it produces a different playing field if the expected performance, in production models, matches the prototypes. Small form factor, slave equivalent pair aimed as £700 per pair, but no doubt you will be able to buy 5 at a time = £1800, plus AVI sub [£800?] then whatever an AV receiver with pre-outs costs. Could well be quite a respectable system if you have mains plugs somewhere near where you need them.

To be honest I have moved away from 5/6/7.1 and just have the pair of 40s for music and the occasional movie when I use the projector.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Maths, mate, maths! 5x£700 = £3500 pius sub plus AVI receiver. Genelecs or Adams would work out cheaper nad be of similar quality.

Looks to me that any actives aren't a great thought for Home theatre yet, plus I'd hate to see the cost of your electricity bill! Might well work out cheaper to go to the cinema :)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Maths, mate, maths! 5x£700 = £3500 pius sub plus AVI receiver. Genelecs or Adams would work out cheaper nad be of similar quality.

Looks to me that any actives aren't a great thought for Home theatre yet, plus I'd hate to see the cost of your electricity bill! Might well work out cheaper to go to the cinema :)

If only you would read what I have written in your headlong rush to bag-out AVI, mate. My maths is perfectly good thank you.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Maths isn't limited to AVI, it applies to many, many things you know, and it was the maths, I was commenting on! But yes, I misread your sentence, just as you apparently misunderstood mine ;)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
So it would seem that actives are not (generally) the way to go for cinema. I guess box count, wiring & setup only really applies to a hifi setup when the comparison is straightforward. I guess with a medium £2k-£4k 5.1/7.1 config I am comfortable in my ignorance

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Maths isn't limited to AVI, it applies to many, many things you know, and it was the maths, I was commenting on! But yes, I misread your sentence, just as you apparently misunderstood mine ;)

Misunderstanding you isn't difficult, since you talk such nonsense so much of the time. However the above is one of your more striking examples of your forte. Shame you couldn't apologise properly for making a fool of yourself but nothing I didn't expect.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
So it would seem that actives are not (generally) the way to go for cinema. I guess box count, wiring & setup only really applies to a hifi setup when the comparison is straightforward. I guess with a medium £2k-£4k 5.1/7.1 config I am comfortable in my ignorance

Robin, I can't see how the box count is ever going to go down soon for a 5/6/7.1 av system really, active or not. Unless someone brings out a suitably good sound bar that can decode Dolby/Dts streamed to it, do all the front channels and then power or be the pre for the surround channels. I suspect that we will have subs for many a year for the LFE work.

If I were ever to go back to an av system I would certainly have active speakers but I think it would have to be a full-on design and new build av room.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

Don't be daft AL, £700 is for a "pair".

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Maybe then a reasonable question? Cabling more difficult. Box count? Acheivable for £3k? Any AVI owners ?

I am an AVI owner, and for £3000, for the moment, for AV only I would probably stay passive. I do think quaity would definitely increase going active (so long as you chose well-designed actives), but sound is secondary when watching, and good passives sound great.

Also, I wouldn't do an Avi AV system until they release a proper centre speaker either.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Don't be daft AL, £700 is for a "pair".

Yes, I realised that, and have explained that to the irascible (I hope thay's the right word) one :)

I agree, I don't think actives are suited to AV, which has always been a problem.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't really see how anyone could think there'd be a reduction in box count. Minimum required is one 'control box', 5 speakers and a sub. Whether the power amplification is in the 'control box' or speakers it all works out the same. As The_Lhc said it's only if you have separate pre/pro and multichannel power that you'd get a reduction and even then only by one.

There's no reason in principle why active should be any more difficult (save the odd power cable) or expensive than a passive 5.1 setup. However, the global market in AVRs dwarfs two channel and active speakers, thus competition means AVRs represent great value. You get high quality amplification and an excellent feature set for rock bottom prices (at whatever level you go in at).

Happily, there are now a number of options for reasonably priced pre pros coming in from the US (and even the audiolab is more reasonable than has traditionally been available). Carefully chosen, a £300 pre pro and £3k active setup ought to compete (at least) with a £1k AVR and £2-2.5k passive speaker setup.

I am not, however, aware of any reasonably priced dedicated active centre speakers (I stand to be corrected). Also, for real value for money you are going to have to consider pro styled actives; the selection of active speakers in this price range with domestic finishes is pretty small.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts