ClearAudio cartridges

As most of you know I've owned these carts for years, namely Classic Wood Aurum and the Concept V2 and match my system well. My current Goldring is showing signs of wear. So perhaps looking at a higher end ClearAudio such as a Performer V2 or Virtuoso. Anyone with experience of any ClearAudio, if you do please tell me your thoughts.

daytona600

Most clearaudio cartridges are Audio Technica in a party frock or fancy wooden body
100s of vendors over the years but under the skin all are Ortofon , AT , nagaoka & grado only Nagaoka makes everything 100% in house
If you like wood body cartridges try Grado Opus Timbre range from £200 - £12,000
From a company known for exceptional performance and value, the Grado Opus3 resets the bar. Pure and simple, a celebration of LP playback."– Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound
Nagaoka The world's largest manufacturer of Diamond Styli leaves nothing to chance even with its own pickups and manufactures all the components itself. Because at Nagaoka, great vinyl sound has a tradition. For more than 70 years.
Currently more than 90% of all pickup needles sold worldwide come from the traditional factory in Higashine, 400 km north of
Tokyo.

Last edited:
Most clearaudio cartridges are Audio Technica in a party frock or fancy wooden body
100s of vendors over the years but under the skin all are Ortofon , AT , nagaoka & grado only Nagaoka makes everything 100% in house
If you like wood body cartridges try Grado Opus Timbre range from £200 - £12,000
From a company known for exceptional performance and value, the Grado Opus3 resets the bar. Pure and simple, a celebration of LP playback."– Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound
Nagaoka The world's largest manufacturer of Diamond Styli leaves nothing to chance even with its own pickups and manufactures all the components itself. Because at Nagaoka, great vinyl sound has a tradition. For more than 70 years.
Currently more than 90% of all pickup needles sold worldwide come from the traditional factory in Higashine, 400 km north of
Tokyo.
Indeed most turntable manufacturers cartridges tend to be Audio Technicas in a party frock........

Reactions: plastic penguin
Totally agree, but that isn't unusual for companies to source components from one or two different makers. All I can divulge is when I spent the whole morning peeing off the dealer, trying price compatible Ortofon and Goldring (can't remember what model no they were. It was circa 2006), the ClearAudio Classic Wood had a better balance and was beautifully detailed, without losing the traditional vinyl sound.

I very believe they are good value for money although I have never owned one.
Thanks Al. Yup, they work well in my system. It's a shame that others haven't even considered ClearAudio when asking for advice on carts.

Perhaps I'm a hi-fi freak (in the nicest possible way). Who else on here currently has any brands I own? I'm fine with that, it makes me feel a little individual.

Over the weekend the cart should be in place.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 108165

Thanks Al. Yup, they work well in my system. It's a shame that others haven't even considered ClearAudio when asking for advice on carts.

Perhaps I'm a hi-fi freak (in the nicest possible way). Who else on here currently has any brands I own? I'm fine with that, it makes me feel a little individual.

Over the weekend the cart should be in place.
The reason I think they're not readily recommended is that their entry level starts at £200, PP. Other brands entry level start much lower. Not saying that the Clearaudio carts aren't good, as they are, but they're only AT's in different clothes. I got a Virtuoso Ebony bundled with the Marantz but I never fitted it... might do one day.

The reason I think they're not readily recommended is that their entry level starts at £200, PP. Other brands entry level start much lower. Not saying that the Clearaudio carts aren't good, as they are, but they're only AT's in different clothes. I got a Virtuoso Ebony bundled with the Marantz but I never fitted it... might do one day.
I'm sure you're right, Doug. As I found with the Classic Wood and Concept they are great for their price bracket. If truth be known, like so many components, there's little between any brand of cartridge.

I read on an American forum ClearAudio are looked at as Frankencartridge, which is unfair in my view.

Think how how many turntables have Rega arms fitted, many CDPs used to have Philips internals and Dacs, most of Arcam's more recent equipment have generic components from China... so ClearAudio are no different. But somehow people turn their noses up at them.

Their loss IMO.

D

Deleted member 108165

It is their loss mate, Clearaudio make damned good carts.

If ever you need to change the stylus on yours there's plenty of info on the web about fitting an AT stylus to your Clearaudio body, requires a craft knife but they do fit, plus the AT styli are cheaper :)

i've had a strange journey with my Clearaudio cart. i got the Virtuoso bundled with the marantz, and while it was clean and detailed, it never sounded quite right. a bit sterile and lacking in musicality. compared to others i'd tried anyway.
i performed a bit of surgery on it, 1st thing was a replacement stylus, as the original one got bent within a few months. absolutely gut wrenching, till i found the at95 stylus fitted. then that got bent (childs curiosity) so put an at95ex on there. much better.
next came the generator. swapped out for a Linn K9, took about 5 mins to pop one out and pop the other in..... thats when the magic happened and i got the cart people had reviewed. fantastic presentation, musical and detailed. much better. now its one of my favourites, narrowly beaten by the Nag ts12. boron.

Attachments

• cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 7
i've had a strange journey with my Clearaudio cart. i got the Virtuoso bundled with the marantz, and while it was clean and detailed, it never sounded quite right. a bit sterile and lacking in musicality. compared to others i'd tried anyway.
i performed a bit of surgery on it, 1st thing was a replacement stylus, as the original one got bent within a few months. absolutely gut wrenching, till i found the at95 stylus fitted. then that got bent (childs curiosity) so put an at95ex on there. much better.
next came the generator. swapped out for a Linn K9, took about 5 mins to pop one out and pop the other in..... thats when the magic happened and i got the cart people had reviewed. fantastic presentation, musical and detailed. much better. now its one of my favourites, narrowly beaten by the Nag ts12. boron.
I wouldn't say you've been around the houses, more like around the district. At least you got there... eventually. Nice one!

Finally... it's fitted. After a lot of faffing (not great with a screwdriver) the concept up and running. What's it like after a few years sabbatical?

The first thing that grabs you is the uncluttered presentation. Whatever genre you play it seems to produce high levels of detail and clarity. By the same token it still sounds like a little box with a needle; the bass is good and well defined, generally pleasing. Although it doesn't quite have the quality of the Goldring, it doesn't lag far behind.

If I had the money I would look at a replacement stylus or a different cart such as a Nag, but for something that's been sitting in the loft collecting dust, I'm not complaining. It's reminded me how good these ClearAudios are for their respective price point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts