Focal Utopia Diablo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
M1GS said:
Hi CnoEvil - I tried the Kefs but thought they sounded a bit artificial. Harbeths have been mentioned more than once so they seem to have a good reputation. Thanks for taking thr trouble to come back to me.

I also think that the suggestions of Proac, Sonus Faber and Dali are good...and would add Diapason.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi M1GS

I have heard the Utopias on quite a few occasions and really don't get on with them. They completely split opinion and it is my view that you will not grow to like them.

I recommend that you try Kef Reference 1s or something from Harbeth.

M1GS

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I just found the Devialet but had to ask them what I needed to get SAM - one of their amps. apparently. Would love to hear the setup but I don't think there is a UK dealer. They have a 40 day trial option but I'd hate to get rid of the Accuphase. And then there's the spending more money part of the equation.....

Thanks for your thought though; going the same way as mine.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
M1GS said:
Yes, I just found the Devialet but had to ask them what I needed to get SAM - one of their amps. apparently. Would love to hear the setup but I don't think there is a UK dealer. They have a 40 day trial option but I'd hate to get rid of the Accuphase. And then there's the spending more money part of the equation.....

If you're in or near the Midlands, Call John Roberts at Midland Audio Exchange. Really nice guy. He'll sort you out and would probably take your Accuphase in PX. He has the Diablo's too, so you could hear them together.

iceman16

Infiniteloop said:
M1GS said:

He's keeping the amp.

If you're in or near the Midlands, Call John Roberts at Midland Audio Exchange. Really nice guy. He'll sort you out and would probably take your Accuphase in PX. He has the Diablo's too, so you could hear them together.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, if I were M1GS I'd stick with the Accuphase (and I say that as a Devialet owner). The cost of switching amps is prohibitive -- and that cash could be put towards different speakers.

It seems like the dreaded WAF is a big factor here. (I'm going through something similar myself at the moment.) Sonus faber could be just the job in sonic and WAF terms.

iceman16

matt49 said:
Yes, if I were M1GS I'd stick with the Accuphase (and I say that as a Devialet owner). The cost of switching amps is prohibitive -- and that cash could be put towards different speakers.

It seems like the dreaded WAF is a big factor here. (I'm going through something similar myself at the moment.) Sonus faber could be just the job in sonic and WAF terms.

There some scientist .. who woulld argue with rates etc. IMHO If it does'nt affect "any" of the components..whether it distortion in "science" is audibble .. I think we should F...off

M1GS

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Firstly, a big thank you to everyone that has taken the time to share their thoughts and suggestions in an attempt to help me.

They always say to try the simple things first and I didn't pay enough attention to this. Thankfully I did take the suggestion from Bigfish786 to try repositioning and what a difference it's made! Thank you big time, Bigfish786 because a fairly small change has resulted in a transformation in the sound. I did have them quite heavily toed in but now have them at a 90degree angle to the rear wall. All that high end nastiness has gone. I can't believe it. They now sound fantastic.

In my (rather weak) defence, there are a lot of statement on the web that say these speakers aren't fussy about positioning, but believe me, THEY ARE! If I had chucked these speakers and then heard them sounding like they do now, I'd have jumped out of the window.

So all sorted and again, thank you to everyone that took the trouble to try and help, but an extra big thankyou to Bigfish!

Gary

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
A great result and it just shows how if posters give enough details and ask the right questions, and listen to the answers - that there is a huge amount of experience, knowledge and useful suggestions to gain from this forum.

In another thread recently somebody asked for advice. They were asked for more details of their room how far away from the rear wall they could position their speakers?

They answered

'average sitting room, maybe I should direct this to owners of xxxxxxxx for a more honest opinion'.

*dash1*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
M1GS said:
Firstly, a big thank you to everyone that has taken the time to share their thoughts and suggestions in an attempt to help me.

They always say to try the simple things first and I didn't pay enough attention to this. Thankfully I did take the suggestion from Bigfish786 to try repositioning and what a difference it's made! Thank you big time, Bigfish786 because a fairly small change has resulted in a transformation in the sound. I did have them quite heavily toed in but now have them at a 90degree angle to the rear wall. All that high end nastiness has gone. I can't believe it. They now sound fantastic.

In my (rather weak) defence, there are a lot of statement on the web that say these speakers aren't fussy about positioning, but believe me, THEY ARE! If I had chucked these speakers and then heard them sounding like they do now, I'd have jumped out of the window.

So all sorted and again, thank you to everyone that took the trouble to try and help, but an extra big thankyou to Bigfish!

Gary

Glad you got sorted. They really are fantastic speakers.

Focal sometimes get a bad rap for sounding 'too bright'. (I've never found this) - Maybe you've just proven it's simply a positioning issue.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Jota180 said:
Lesser speakers paper over the cracks.
...and some better speakers accentuate them. *unknw*

?

... and the best speakers tell it like it is.
...aspirational, but nebulous concept.

... without which the very idea of hi-fi becomes meaningless.
I thought the very idea of HFi was to argue.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Jota180 said:
Lesser speakers paper over the cracks.
...and some better speakers accentuate them. *unknw*

... and the best speakers tell it like it is.
...aspirational, but nebulous concept.

... without which the very idea of hi-fi becomes meaningless.
I thought the very idea of HFi was to argue.
I don't know about you, but my hi-fi always agrees with me.

M1GS

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

Gary

TRENDING THREADS