Chromecast (and Denon AVR)

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone have a Chromecast, particularly if used with a Denon AVR.

My telly is of limited intelligence (i.e. not smart). I was considering rectifying this with a Chromecast. Before I buy it, I was wondering if anyone had experience of using one, via Denon AVR.

My queries are:

1. I’ve got a Slimport for my Nexus7. Some days it works, some it doesn’t. I’m interested to hear if anyone else has had handshake issues – basically if it’s not going to work seamlessly every time, I don’t think a Chromecast is for me.

2. If I use it to access content from my Play account does it simply use the content on my Nexus as a wireless version of the Nexus / Slimport interface? The nexus doesn’t really work well when mirrored over slimport – the number of frames per second is strange, so moving images are extremely juddery and again, this would be a deal-breaker.

3. Can I subscribe for Netflix and access it solely by the Chromecast linking with my router (i.e. again, without having to have the nexus or my laptop powered up).

Thanks – I appreciate your thoughts.

Paul.

The Chromecast does need a device to send a link to it, it can't make the connection by it self. The Chromecast will however get the content online itself rather than mirror.

So, your Nexus will tell the Chromecast what you want to watch in Netflix, then the Chromecast will source the content direct form Netflix bypassing the Nexus.

I can't answer about the other stuff as I use Chromecast with an iPhone. It seems to work ok with my Marantz SR7007 (which is internally very similar to a Denon X4000). I do sometimes get a peculiar electronic beeping sound faintly out of the left rear speaker, aside from that it is pretty flawless. It's worth the £30 for Netflix and Plex alone. Be warned though, the Chromecast plugin for the desktop browser is rubbish.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
since buying the Chromecast, I've not had a chance to use it other than for cartoons for the kids.

Over the weekend I watched a football match on BT Sports and some drama from BBC iPlayer.

Both were terrible. Dialogue seemed fine, but the picture (particularly on any motion or panning shots) seemed to be missing lots of frame - it moved like a strobe in a nightclub! I actually felt a bit seasick in a few fast-paced scenes!

As above, I'm using plugged into a Denon AVR and to a Sony LCD. Does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the frames per second? I've looked on the Mobile App, and I cannot find anything!

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts