Chord Speaker Cable: Factory Termination Worth It?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Deliriumbassist said:
In regards to an earlier post, David, I've never terminated Genesis... thought Ruby Anniversary was bad enough!
Yeah, imagine that, but 10 times worse! As if the crimping a pretty stiff cable isn't tricky enough, most of the time is spent stripping numerous layers back, and to specific lengths for the end result to look half decent!

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
And this is why i thank my lucky stars that i cant hear a difference from one bannana plugs to the other, and is quite happy to use Fisual Easy Fix Banana Plugs (Pack Of 4) @£4.99 a go, does the job, cant see them once the are plugged in, so who care what the look like, :)

manicm

Simon Cunvin said:
And this is why i thank my lucky stars that i cant hear a difference from one bannana plugs to the other, and is quite happy to use Fisual Easy Fix Banana Plugs (Pack Of 4) @£4.99 a go, does the job, cant see them once the are plugged in, so who care what the look like,  :)

No-one is listening to me here ,I believe Chord made a mistake. Future shop sells it terminated for 10 quid more instead of 100, but hey no-one needs to listen.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Timo said:
Good evening

I will be upgrading my speaker cables -- and I am having my eye on Chord speaker cables. I now wonder about speaker termination. I certainly want to have banana plugs. Chord offers factory termination for £100, but my dealer suggested his "in-house" termination with Chord banana plugs for £48 -- a more economical solution. Does anybody have experience with Chord factory termination? Is it worth the extra money? It certainly looks neater.

Cheers!!

Money for old rope, ain't it? Maybe that's why they are called bananas.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
drummerman said:
Something like QED's Revelation is a PITA to terminate and I don't envy anyone having to do it (properly).

You also need a 'special' crimper if using QED Airlock plugs.
Agreed. Ever tried terminating Genesis? I once had to do a bi-wired pair which took a day and a half...never again!
I have to be honest, if it takes you a day and a half to terminate a cable you really shouldn't be doing it , 30 years ago I was given 60 seconds a core to make up cables , thats checking the drawings, stripping, prep and fitting covers. Then they where tested, cut in half and told to clean up the plugs and make them again.

I miss being an apprentice <S>

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
davidf said:
drummerman said:
Something like QED's Revelation is a PITA to terminate and I don't envy anyone having to do it (properly).

You also need a 'special' crimper if using QED Airlock plugs.
Agreed. Ever tried terminating Genesis? I once had to do a bi-wired pair which took a day and a half...never again!
I have to be honest, if it takes you a day and a half to terminate a cable you really shouldn't be doing it , 30 years ago I was given 60 seconds a core to make up cables , thats checking the drawings, stripping, prep and fitting covers. Then they where tested, cut in half and told to clean up the plugs and make them again.

I miss being an apprentice <S>
Do you have any idea what the cross section of QED Genesis looks like?! This isn't just a simple two core cable! And we aren't talking a 9-5 day in, day out job, this was the very first time I had to do it, and despite regularly making up all sorts of cables, this instance took a day and a half. It would take you longer than 60 seconds just to get the cable into a useable position! Do please familiarise yourself with the job in hand before criticising... :)

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes , this is my point , it looks like 2 x2 core cable , I am not criticising , it's just this is not your strong point , thats all I was saying

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
Yes , this is my point , it looks like 2 x2 core cable , I am not criticising , it's just this is not your strong point , thats all I was saying
QED Genesis - check again. Four cores of 9 smaller cores. Try it once. Then do it another 15 times...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts