Chord Chorus 2 Vs. Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA cabel

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Today I did a blind test of sorts without meaning to. I had brought my AVR600 over to the dealer to get the 3D board fitted. While there, I had it connected up to a Linn Sneaky DSM and some R100s.

The sound had a hard glassy bite to it that was unpleasant, but I put it down to the equipment being cold. Half an hour later it was no better. We then put in the LS50s which were more natural, but still there was a hardness there. This was puzzling, as none of this kit should have sounded like this.

Over an hour later, there was not much improvement, so I asked the dealer what s/c cable was being used......he replied that it was the good install (copper) bi-wire that I have used before, so not the problem.

Anyway, as a long shot I checked the i/c, which to my amazement, was an Atlas Voyager. I had not expected this, as he always uses Linn Blacks or Silver, and isn't an Atlas dealer.

Now a couple of years ago, I bought an Atlas Voyager off ebay and hated it, as it made the music sound hard and glassy. I then traded it in with Lyric. A few days ago he had a customer who asked for a cable that was less smooth than the Linn Blacks and he dug out this one (which was probably mine). Since it was kicking about the dem room, he used it to connect the system (while I was out getting a coffee).

As soon as I spotted this, I had him replace it with some Blacks......and the sound I had become accustomed to returned.

There are 3 explanations for this:

- The cables sound different.

- The Atlas was faulty in some way.

- Coincidence.

Make of that what you will......and I'm not claiming it as proof of anything.

Sorry Cno but what you describe here was not a blind test.

Consider the sentence highlighted in bold.

ISAC69 said:
plastic penguin said:
ISAC69 said:
CnoEvil said:
ISAC69 said:
After using the Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA cabel for a week My conclusion about the Chord Chrous 2 is that it is an excellent cabel , very detailed and transparent but since it based on silver made materials the sounds performance overall become not harmonic enough , stress high frequencies and lows are somehow too soft . I think it can be a good match on speakers with warm or over bass presntation .

Today I did a blind test of sorts without meaning to. I had brought my AVR600 over to the dealer to get the 3D board fitted. While there, I had it connected up to a Linn Sneaky DSM and some R100s.

The sound had a hard glassy bite to it that was unpleasant, but I put it down to the equipment being cold. Half an hour later it was no better. We then put in the LS50s which were more natural, but still there was a hardness there. This was puzzling, as none of this kit should have sounded like this.

Over an hour later, there was not much improvement, so I asked the dealer what s/c cable was being used......he replied that it was the good install (copper) bi-wire that I have used before, so not the problem.

Anyway, as a long shot I checked the i/c, which to my amazement, was an Atlas Voyager. I had not expected this, as he always uses Linn Blacks or Silver, and isn't an Atlas dealer.

Now a couple of years ago, I bought an Atlas Voyager off ebay and hated it, as it made the music sound hard and glassy. I then traded it in with Lyric. A few days ago he had a customer who asked for a cable that was less smooth than the Linn Blacks and he dug out this one (which was probably mine). Since it was kicking about the dem room, he used it to connect the system (while I was out getting a coffee).

As soon as I spotted this, I had him replace it with some Blacks......and the sound I had become accustomed to returned.

There are 3 explanations for this:

- The cables sound different.

- The Atlas was faulty in some way.

- Coincidence.

Make of that what you will......and I'm not claiming it as proof of anything.

Hi CnoEvil ,

That improves that cabels are very important in the Hi FI system chain . Not appropriate cabels or cheap ones can make a negative effect on the sound .

I think you need to tread a little carefully. I do believe that cables DO make a difference but, like most things, it's a sound your most accustomed to rather than a superior sound difference. Some may interpret your posts as cables being more important than your electronics and speakers.

One long-term poster, who I've great respect, came on here sometime ago and stated that inferior cables wrecked the timing of his kit. In the 30-odd years I've listened to allsorts of set-ups and a number of different cables, whether good or bad timing, was never a main issue. The whole statement didn't hang together.

No one meant that cables being more important than your electronics and speakers , But they are very important on every Hi Fi system .

No, that's not what I said. I stated that some people MAY misconstrude your sentiments (and Cno's) in thinking the Holy Grail is quality speaker cables, hence why I put the example of the other well known (and liked) poster.

Only trying to keep level in my responses, especially when it comes to cables.

Of course cables are important in every system, apart from wireless...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Sorry Cno but what you describe here was not a blind test.

Consider the sentence highlighted in bold.

You can't get more blind than not knowing (or expecting) that there had been a change of i/c. Expectation Bias should have dictated that it sounded smooth, as I strongly believed that it had been connected up with Linn Blacks. You can't have it both ways.

All that highlighted sentence means, is that the "hardness" that I'd noted had gone, and the system sounded as it had done before. I'd never felt the need to check things out on the previous three occasions when I'd done demos.

It was what it was....and people will read into it whatever suits their beliefs.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
If the speakers and the other components or the music sources are not good enuogh even the most expensive cabels will not improve anything in the contrary they might reveal the weakness of the system/music sources . On the other hand if your speakers and the other components or the music sources are good cheap cabels will not fulfill the potential of your system .

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
So in your view more expensive cables = better cables. Does this apply to other components too?

No. there are expensive cabels that are't good enough , but usually cheap cabels aren't giving good results .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts