Choosing the right high end (ish) speakers for movies and music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear What Hi-Fi,

This isn't the first time of asking and you've been so helpful in the past weeks. I have a dilema and it relates to speakers! Too many choices and no idea!

My current setup:

Samsung PS50Q97HDX Plasma

Marantz DV7001 DVD Player (on the way)

Denon AVC A10SE Multichannel Surrond Amp (2001)

And here are the speaker choices:

B&W 600 series: 2x684 1xHTM62 Centre 2x686 rears

B&W CM Series: 2xCM7 1xCM Centre 2xCM1 rears

DALI Ikon 6 5.1 Set up.

In both B&W set ups I was seriously considering leaving off the Sub altogether until I can afford to add a PV1 or such like if it even needs it.

Can you help. It's not really a question of money as all the combos are batting around the £2000 mark. Should I investigate the B&W route alongside the DALI? The problem is that no retailer seems to be stocking the DALI in house and so I can't have a listen. Have you heard the B&W CM series? Are they worth the money over the new 600 series? Is the DALI Ikon range a better bet?

80% DVD movies, 20% music to. Really appreciate your advice as always!

A

Anonymous

Goodness. No replies. Have I possed an un-answerable question? Has anyone heard the B&W speakers? I notice that there is no rating for the CM series in What Hi-Fi.

Any suggestion hugely appreciated!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Will

Sorry for the tardy reply, but the Forums have been rather busy of late!

Anyway, the Dali Ikon 5.1 package is fab - so much so, we made it our Product of the Year last year, so that comes highly recommended and would work well with your system.

We're frantically trying to get hold of the new B&W 600 surround package, but have only heard the stereo 685s so far, which we loved (see First Test, What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision, September 07 issue, on sale now).

Same applies with the CM package - we tested the stero CM1s back in April last year (4 stars), but haven't heard the full 5.1 package.

So you can buy the Dalis in confidence, but if you can wait, I reckon it'd be well worthwhile hanging on for a review of the B&W 600 package. We'll be testing it as soon as we can. And I'd definitely budget for a sub, especially for movies.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy. I think I'll go for the Dali's. I love the look of the B&W but they're much bigger and in that respect hard to place, especially the rears. the Dali's with their wall mountable rears seem a much more sensible option and as you gave them five stars along with rave reviews, I should be able to buy with a bit of confidence!

On an unrelated subject. Have you guys considered putting the full published version of What Hi-Fi along with back copies up on the web for subscription customers to enjoy? You could even set it up as a green initiative. Two choices, the print edition with a complementary web membership and a web only edition, saving on all the carbon in the process. Would be fab and it'd be really really useful.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Will Harris"]
On an unrelated subject. Have you guys considered putting the full published version of What Hi-Fi along with back copies up on the web for subscription customers to enjoy? You could even set it up as a green initiative. Two choices, the print edition with a complementary web membership and a web only edition, saving on all the carbon in the process. Would be fab and it'd be really really useful.

[/quote]

It's something we're currently looking at very seriously. There are a number of mechanisms for delivering this, the best seeming to be a monthly download of which you're notified by email, which has the advantage (for us) of keeping the downloaded magazine secure and copy-proof.

What do other readers think? Would they be interested in subscribing to the magazine in this way? I'll post this in the 'about the magazine' too, if you don't mind...

EDIT: Discussion moved to 'About the mag' section. Please post any comments there.

A

Anonymous

Have ordered the Dali speakers for £1950. I hope they're nice!

2x Dali Ikon 6

2x Dali On-Wall

1x Dali Vokal 2

1x Dali Sub

all in Light Walnut and thoroughly looking forward to their arrival.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Glad you're sorted, Will.

Am going to lock this thread now - anyone with views on downloadable magazines please post them to the thread in the 'About the mag' section.

Ta

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts