Choosing correct Subwoofer room size.

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone know if a room size determines the type of subwoofer one should go for. I am not sure whether I should go for the SW150 or the SW250. To pair up with my Diamond 9.1 and Diamond 9CS. Perhaps If i measure my room and give the size, an expert on here could tell me which one would be ideal? Or is it down to personal preference.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
To a degree, yes but ulimately small subwoofers and 'lifestyle' subs don't cut the mustard when it comes to producing low frequency, solid bass. I have a couple of mates with cheap subs and they just produce noise! You simply cannot cheat physics and a decent sub needs a decent sized cabinet. Obviously more power is of beneft as the amp doesn't have to drive as hard at higher volumes so you get less distortion. This is simplifying it (a lot). I suggest you read the FAQ at the SVS subwoofer site.

http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm#doineed

If you're after a compact sub with good performance, take a look at the BK XL200

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DF.htm

A

Anonymous

Is the SVS SB12 Plus well worth the extra over the BK XL200?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
From what I've read in online reviews and owners opinions on other forums, I would say yes. If you google "SVS SB12+ reviews" or similar you should turn up a few hits. I would have no hesitation in recommending a SVS sub, I couldn't be happier with mine. Seriously good bass!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Which SVS have you got? Must say I've only heard positive things about them, just wish the pound wasn't so weak against the dollar! My room is too small for a Monolith i'm afraid, i'd probably get an asbo if i went for one of those beasts
emotion-2.gif

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
well my room is approx 16 square metres but the listening area of the room i.e where my sofa, tv and speakers will be obviously wont cover the entire 16 square metres. Just trying to see which subwoofer would be ideal. The SW250 or the SW150.

TRENDING THREADS