Choose Bi-Wire or Standard speaker cable for a limited budget ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My kit is :

Sony STRDA-1200ES AV Receiver

Sony RDR-HXD860 DVD Recorder

Toshiba SD370E DVD Player

Rotel RCD-02 CD player

B&W DM 602.5 S3 Front Speakers Bi-Wired

B&W HTM62 Centre

REL Storm Sub

Mission 760i SE Rears

I am currently using Cable Talk Talk 3 Biwire cable for the fronts, Talk 3 standard for the centre I believe (no brand visible on the cable sheath) and a standard QED cable for the rears.

I am wondering if it's time to to go something a little more up to date for the fronts and centre, but I dont want to spend more than about £ 5 - 6 per metre,

Am I better off staying with the Talk 3 given my limited budget right now, or would an update still be worthwhile ?

If a change is recommended, go with a standard or a Bi-Wire cable for the fronts ?

And what cable would you recommend ? The kit is used slightly more for Home Cinema than music.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Seeing as its home cinema, i would have to say single wire maybe Kimber Kable? I think you wold be sacrificing too much quality and power bi'wiring with not so good cable.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="oldphrt"]
Bi-wire your speakers initially but don't bother with fancy branded cables, they're a con. Find the cheapest thickest multistranded copper cable you can and use that. Have a good long listen then put the jumper links back on the speakers. You will find that the sound will either stay the same or improve, thus demonstrating that bi-wiring is really just a gimmick and putting thick cables in parallel works just as well if not better. If you care to experiment adding even more parallel connected cables may improve things even more, it certainly did on my set up.

[/quote]

Bi wiring is not about simply having parallel cable! The biwired crossover is different to a single wire crossover in that the treble and base filters are separated. The connection point is at the amp end and not the speaker end thus the cables become part of each of the filter spurs. The arrangement allows the amps dampening factor to be more dominant such that it can deal with the woofers back emf (and to a lesser extent the tweeters). Since the signal is carried by the EM field on the speaker cables, two cables with different fields (as they are on two different circuits) will be less likely to interfere with each other, which is not the case with a single wire. Within in the context of bi wiring adding more (>2) cable really doesn't mean anything. If the speaker was a 3-driver system (you would have a crossover with three separate filters) you could then tri wire.
I my experience Bi wiring is not a gimmick it is an effective way of fine tuning a speaker system by careful choice of cables as well as a nice upgrade.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Yes just raid your doorbell for the wire, that'll work just as well!!

Hmmm, not sure I agree with you all about cables, I heard a big difference when biamping my speakers with QED Silver Anniversary XT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts