Cheap Solid State amplifier for poor Valve lovers?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I read with interest the reviews on the new Rega Brio 2017.

Warm, rounded, dynamic, bouncy musical bass, no harshness and rich textures are some of the comments.

Move up the range to Elex-R and the Elicit, you get more control, power and detail ... the usual Solid State stuff. (There is one guy that compared the next two models with each other and his Naim stuff on youtube).

There are not many solid state amplifiers that could pass for a valve amplifier, especially not affordable ones. Perhaps Marantz comes closest? - Someone over at PFM mentioned Naim as valve like. Whilst I have great respect for the brand I wouldn't call them that though harsh they certainly are not either.

I wonder if this new baby Brio is something that could satisfy Valve amplifier would-be-owners with few of the downsides but more power and real world speaker driving ability?

Comment if you heard it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
How subjective this is...I love a decent Valve amp and dislike Naim.

I don't think cheap SS amps sound valve like....for that you have to look at Class A, or as much Class A bias as possible. I'm thinking brands like Sugden, Electro, Arcam Class G and possibly Audio Analogue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts