Best Valve amplifier for Speaker set?

jovanovics

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I was writing in hopes that someone could help me out with a suggestion in regards to what would be a good-quality but affordable integrated valve amplifier to buy for 2 x sets of Roger speakers with the following specs:

Nominal impendence: 8 ohms

Programme power rating: 100 Watt

Sensitivity at 1 metre

2-83 volts at inputs: 88-5 dB

Axial frequency response measured at 2 metres: 2dB 80 Hz - 20kHz

Would a valve-amplifier be optimal for these speakers, or better to go with a different type of amplifier?

Many thanks,

Stefan

jovanovics said:
Hi,

I was writing in hopes that someone could help me out with a suggestion in regards to what would be a good-quality but affordable integrated valve amplifier to buy for 2 x sets of Roger speakers with the following specs:

Nominal impendence: 8 ohms

Programme power rating: 100 Watt

Sensitivity at 1 metre

2-83 volts at inputs: 88-5 dB

Axial frequency response measured at 2 metres: 2dB 80 Hz - 20kHz

Would a valve-amplifier be optimal for these speakers, or better to go with a different type of amplifier?

Many thanks,

Stefan

Welcome to the forum.

Are you looking to run just one pair of these speakers? Define 'affordable'.

jovanovics

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Ok - thanks. If I got 2 x valve amplifiers for each speaker set - could I inteconnect them?

Otherwise - which integrated amplifier would you suggest for 2 x of these speaker pairs??

Thank-you

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
jovanovics said:
Ok - thanks. If I got 2 x valve amplifiers for each speaker set - could I inteconnect them?

Otherwise - which integrated amplifier would you suggest for 2 x of these speaker pairs??

Thank-you

What are you trying to do?

If you're trying to run both pairs of speakers simultaneously, maybe the besy way to go is via a PreAmp and two Power Amps. But it's very messy as you'd need to split the signal from the PreAmp to both Power Amps. (I'm guessing you want both speaker pairs to be stereo)?

jovanovics

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I would like to run both speaker sets simultaneously with stereo sound. They are an old edition of Rogers bookshelf speakers, which I would like to connect to an iMac...

Are you going to listen to both sets of speakers at the same time in the same room?

if you are, why?

if you are having two rooms running from the same amp, at the same time, get something that is designed to do that.

personally, my experience of listening to 4 speakers in the same room was a big disappointment. One pair sounded much better.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You will need a dac if you do not have one and an amplifier that can drive 2 pairs of speakers at the same time. Many amplifiers can do this if the speakers are 8 ohm or higher.

A Yamaha AS501 has an optical digital input to connect to your Mac digital output and can drive two pairs of 8 ohm speakers.

That is the inexpensive, hi-fi solution.

An altogether more serious solution would be a couple of inexpensive pro amps, Behringer A500 for example, and separate dac. If you are going to work the system hard this would be a much more robust solution. The 4 channel Art SLA4 is a smaller tidier solution, though a little more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts