Cheap and cheerful cable mod

It's strange what boredom can do to you. The other day I found myself looking at the speaker cable and thinking jeez- it's ugly. A dark grey plastic with a barely noticeable red stripe on it. No wonder it's so ugly, it's designed for "in wall" installation.

So, I started looking for something a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

As we all know cables can be expensive. And I am more than happy with the quality of mine, so I didn't really fancy splashing out on exotic cable. Instead, I found some braided sheath on eBay for a couple of quid, just got it today and slipped it on. It looks quite good too. Nice little cheap mod on the agricultural looking cable.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
It's strange what boredom can do to you. The other day I found myself looking at the speaker cable and thinking jeez- it's ugly. A dark grey plastic with a barely noticeable red stripe on it. No wonder it's so ugly, it's designed for "in wall" installation.

So, I started looking for something a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

As we all know cables can be expensive. And I am more than happy with the quality of mine, so I didn't really fancy splashing out on exotic cable. Instead, I found some braided sheath on eBay for a couple of quid, just got it today and slipped it on. It looks quite good too. Nice little cheap mod on the agricultural looking cable.
I think I know how this thread is going to carry on ... :)

Anyway, great tip. They come in all colours. The only problem I had in the past was fraying at the braid cut off. Easily solved with a little bit of shrink wrap.

insider9

Is it the exception confirming the rule? Is it the first cable thread that will unite rather than divide? :)

Lovely idea. I'm happy with the colour of my speaker cables but could get them to match carpets. Who would have thought...

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
The only problem I had in the past was fraying at the braid cut off. Easily solved with a little bit of shrink wrap.
An even easier way is to turn the braid in on itself, so the exposed end sits inside the braid.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Dunno about making them look nicer, I spend my time trying to make them disappear. In fact if I have one complaint about active speakers, it's cables. All the cables which once hung out the back of my amp (and hidden by the oak cabinet) now hang out the back of the master speaker. Even if you have stands with cable tidies (I don't as yet), you still end up with spaghetti junction on the floor. And whereas with passive speakers you may not even have particularly given second thought as to whether your speakers were near a mains socket, you now suddenly need a socket near each of them.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
If anybody ever invents such a thing they'll be a rich man/woman.

I went to extraordinary lenghts to hide mine from the sight of beloved, we're talking drilling through the chimney breast to route cables through it rather than round it, removing cladding/architrave around patio doors and drilling holes into speaker stands to hide cable inside them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts