Chord Clearway RCA cable

Squall Leonhart

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
I have some disposable income and no more music left to buy currently so I decided to upgrade the Atlas Element cable in my bedroom system. Then by coincidence whathifi latest review is of the new Chord Clearway RCA and got 5 stars. I never owned any Chord products before so I thought it would be more interesting to try them. Made my order on PeterTyson a few hours ago. With all the praise whathifi gave them and the high price I expect them to arrive literally dripping with snake oil. *biggrin*

One thing I found strange is whathifi didn't list the QED Reference 40 as a competitor product yet it's about the same price and also got 5 stars. Odd. *scratch_one-s_head*

Either way whathifi seemed to be quite impressed. Looking forward to them.

I know there are endless debates on whether cables make a difference but it's all part of the hobby for me. I am expecting more 'surefootedness', more 'timing', more 'musical infomation', more 'low-end authority', more 'agility and definition' more 'integration between mid and treble' and every other pretentious hifi terminology you can think of. *ROFL*

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Squall Leonhart said:
I have some disposable income and no more music left to buy currently so I decided to upgrade the Atlas Element cable in my bedroom system. Then by coincidence whathifi latest review is of the new Chord Clearway RCA and got 5 stars. I never owned any Chord products before so I thought it would be more interesting to try them. Made my order  on PeterTyson a few hours ago. With all the praise whathifi gave them and the high price I expect them to arrive literally dripping with snake oil. *biggrin*

One thing I found strange is whathifi didn't list the QED Reference 40 as a competitor product yet it's about the same price and also got 5 stars. Odd. *scratch_one-s_head*

Either way whathifi seemed to be quite impressed. Looking forward to them.

I know there are endless debates on whether cables make a difference but it's all part of the hobby for me. I am expecting more 'surefootedness', more 'timing', more 'musical infomation', more 'low-end authority', more 'agility and definition' more 'integration between mid and treble' and every other pretentious hifi terminology you can think of. *ROFL*

My cheap Philips RCAs make Darkthrone sound like Bach. And they haven't been reviewed... :/

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
All interconnects will sound the same unless they are deliberately made of resistive foo like Van Den Hul which will sound worse.

jjbomber

Squall Leonhart said:
I have some disposable income and no more music left to buy currently so I decided to upgrade the Atlas Element cable in my bedroom system. Then by coincidence whathifi latest review is of the new Chord Clearway RCA and got 5 stars.

Even better, you can take out a subscription to WhatHiFi for £21.99 for 6 months and get a Rega Couple 2 interconnect for free. The advert says they are £120, the review says they are £90 and they are on Amazon for £65. If you are not in a rush for new interconnects, that is a bargain, whatever the real price.

Squall Leonhart

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Even better, you can take out a subscription to WhatHiFi for £21.99 for 6 months and get a Rega Couple 2 interconnect for free. The advert says they are £120, the review says they are £90 and they are on Amazon for £65. If you are not in a rush for new interconnects, that is a bargain, whatever the real price.

Thanks but I got to impatient and already ordered it before making this thread. I prefer picking up whathifi when I visit sainsburies anyway.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Clearway is pretty decent and so is the clearway speaker cables. I've never found qed as good as chord, and I'd definitely recommend checking out clearway speaker wire which replaced the old carnival silver screen.

Squall Leonhart

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Clearway is pretty decent and so is the clearway speaker cables. I've never found qed as good as chord, and I'd definitely recommend checking out clearway speaker wire which replaced the old carnival silver screen.

Thanks for suggestion. If I am impressed by the RCA I may aim for the speaker cable down the line. Or if funds allow I will go for Chord Shawline speaker cable.

jjbomber

Squall Leonhart said:
Thanks but I got to impatient and already ordered it before making this thread. I prefer picking up whathifi when I visit Sainsburys anyway.

Yes thanks. I had read that in the OP but was putting it up for others. In reality the interconnects won't arrive until Christmas. Not many can wait that long.

Details are 01604-251462 and quote WH1117MP.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Chord epic twin is one of the best speaker wires that often gets tried and a very good hi fi cable. You can get it for good prices used. I went for epic reference speaker wire after trying epic twin. I also had signature tuned array rca and upgraded it to signature tuned array xlr between my balanced cyrus amps. The signature cables are expensive but bloody good. I didn't pay anywhere near full price for my cables though.

And for digital cables I use anthem tuned array and clearway digital.

Epic twin speaker wire is better than the top qed cable - Genesis 'hosepipe' spiral or whatever it's called.

If you do go for chord cables I'd recommend going for good interconnects but max out on the speaker wires for best sound.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I highley disagree with Oldphrt! How many cables have you tried out in your system and compared? Why can so many people hear differences with cables but you can not? Can you not hear a difference or have you not even tried to compare different brands?

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Happy_Listener said:
I highley disagree with Oldphrt! How many cables have you tried out in your system and compared? Why can so many people hear differences with cables but you can not? Can you not hear a difference or have you not even tried to compare different brands?

It seems just as many people think cables make no difference against those who do and this debate comes up time and time again with no definitive outcome. Always entertaining though. *biggrin*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Anyone is welcome to come round to mine and I'll show them what a good difference cables make in my system at least.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Happy_Listener said:

Whilst I can not speak specifically for Oldphrt, what I can say is this.

Many (most?) enthusiasts hear differences when swapping cables, the differences are usually obvious enough. However some of us have been around the hi-fi block a good few times and know that, in the main, these differences have nothing to do with the 'quality' of the cable and everything to do with the consistency of our perception.

I know that you have probably heard this before, but even the simplest of blind tests show that it is extremely difficult to hear any differences between cables, virtually all the differences we hear in sighted tests are due to expectation bias and other psycological effects.

If you have never tried this, then you are probably not going to be convinced, that's fine, but do not make the classic error of thinking that 'cable sceptics' do not hear a difference, they often do, but they are aware that these 'differences' are pretty much all in the mind.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The problem is ro the original poster, when you do double blind on your own system, if it's a revealing one, you can easily notice differences between two cables. I've done it and it was ridiculously easy, so was a friend able to do it. This idea about double blind not revealing differences in own kit, at home, in your own environment, is a total misnomer and myth in hi fi. Not always but often on good hi fi between two cables, one performing very well, and one not working well. And no they are not in the mind. Bias happens only when differences are small, and you umm and arr and try and convince yourself, but sometimes cables don't bring small differences relatively speaking to amps etc. If you show me any blind tests that are done online, they tend to be people unfamiliar with kit, in an unfamiliar environment, and unfamiliar with the cables too. Enough to make you not know introducing too much variance to bring error. But that said I've easily heard the differences in the chord demos at shows e.g. Epic to sarem, on very decent systems. Worth it, a different question. You won't convince anyone until you've got there. I admit the differences are relatively small relative to speakers and amps etc, but then that's what we would expect. They can't transform a system, only make it shine or not.

insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
It's a good cable and will give you better speed and agility.if you can get a chord shawline.
Look at that wonderful pic!!! Someone's been shopping :)

Sorry to derail the thread but how big is the jump from I22 to I32?
Interesting question. I never heard the I22 but am delighted with my I32. You know it has been discontinued so there are some bargains around. Not sure when new models arrive.

insider9

nopiano said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
It's a good cable and will give you better speed and agility.if you can get a chord shawline.

Interesting question. I never heard the I22 but am delighted with my I32.  You know it has been discontinued so there are some bargains around. Not sure when new models arrive. 
Yes, hoping Seemorebtts will perhaps do a small write up. For all it's virtues I22 ultimately made me go another direction. Maybe with different speakers/source I would've enjoyed it more. I still rate Primare gear highly so hoping for a run down :)

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
seemorebtts said:

LOL. What nonsense. There's no difference in sound between a red and white freebie and a 20 grand Nordost. It's all in the mind.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
This idea about double blind not revealing differences in own kit, at home, in your own environment, is a total misnomer and myth in hi fi.

apart from the blinding fact that everybody who tries it properly fails it the test.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
nopiano said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:

Interesting question. I never heard the I22 but am delighted with my I32.  You know it has been discontinued so there are some bargains around. Not sure when new models arrive. 
Yes, hoping Seemorebtts will perhaps do a small write up. For all it's virtues I22 ultimately made me go another direction. Maybe with different speakers/source I would've enjoyed it more. I still rate Primare gear highly so hoping for a run down :)
well it's definitely better. More detail lots of power. Great sound stage with very little distortion.its a bit softer then the i22 but still can sound a little hard at high volume. Stereo imaging is amazing its possible the best thing about this amp oh and the bass is just perfect

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts