CD Players Review

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone :)

I was wondering, are CD players review made using the player's integrated DAC?

As far as I can imagine, I guess so, since the major issue should be that of converting digital data to analog, more than reading digital data itself.

I was planning to buy a Cambridge Audio system made of Azur C350, Azur A350, DacMagic and S30 speakers. I was a bit disappointed by the C350's review, while the DacMagic's one was very good. I wonder if using a good external DAC one could overcome the few (but significant) flaws of the C350 reader. I listen to every kind of music (Classical to Techno, going through Queen, P!nk and Atomic Kitten), so it's important to me to have an all-rounder system.

I would like to buy the DacMagic for its digital inputs, which are quite difficult to find on CD players of this price range. I could buy the Marantz CD6003 and PM6003, which are probably slightly better than the Cambridge's counterpart, but for a matter of merely aesthetical compliance, I would like to buy an homogene system: these devices share the same design, so I think they would look great together. One may say better substance than appearance, but when I spend several hundreds euros, I expect to buy some classy design too.

I have 2 more questions:

- Do you think A350 works fine with headphones, or should I consider to buy a dedicated amp? Please consider I mostly use headphones, since where I live I'm not allowed to make noise whenever I want.

- I own a Denon M38 system, do you think this sort of upgrade would be very well worth the money, in terms of audio quality?

Thanks for any answer & advice :)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Albi! You really need to post this is in the "Hi-Fi" forum but here's my tuppenny worth.

If you're going down the DAC route then you don't need to buy the CDP. If you have a Blu Ray player or DVD, for example, then you can use that as a transport via "Digital Out", or take advice to buy a cheap CDP as a suitable transport off ebay (I'm not that clued up on which would be most suitable).

The CD6003 which you've mentioned is an exceptional player and also has an excellent headphone jack (almost as good as my Pro-Ject Head Box II headphone amp IMO). The PM6003 I find particularly adept for low volume listening, although I have tweaked it for this purpose with the attenuators and the choice speakers.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts