CD player recommendation

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,I hope someone can help me choosing a CD player. My speakers are Monitor Audio RS1, driving it with TA 10.1 t-amp and I am using my mediocre panasonic dvd player as a cd spinner. I am using copper cable for my interconnects and also for speaker cabling. As of now I found the sound of my system with so much detail and with a hint of brightness (treble is emphasized).. I am looking for a CDP that could warm up or reduce a little brightness of my RS1, sometimes I found them harsh on some rock and pop songs. I don't want to make my RS1 lifeless or dull, what I want is enough warm with details, engaging sound, non fatiguing, musical and with life. For bass I have no issue as I have a Tannoy sub which is musical. Right now I am eyeing to NAD C542, C525BEE, Marantz CD6002. Please recommend other brands that would match the sound I am looking for. I will bring my RS1 to some audio shops in my area for testing for those recommended CDPs as I trusted you guys can help me give synergy to my system :) I am on tight budget so my choice would be from entry level to mid level hifi CDP. Thanks in advance.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just had a look at some sites and there seems to be a common feeling that your little amplifier is on the bright side. So are your MA's as a few members can confirm.

It's an unlucky partnership, simple. I dont think just adding a new player will solve your problem but it will undoubtedly improve things.

If I was you, on a thight budget and bearing in mind your most expensive component are your speakers I would start from scratch and buy a little NAD combo for perhaps £270 or so and replace the speakers as soon as you have the funds.

A

Anonymous

Yeah the TA 10.1 can power this 90 DB speakers.. at 12 oclock it stared to really sound loud.. Yeah it has coax and optical out.. I may also consider DAC but I'm not sure which one will minimize the harshness of my RS1..

I dont want to change my speakers since I really like them with classical, jazz and voice recordings.. also on those acoustics recordings like Alison Krauss, John Mayer... Also I bought it cheap as a used item. My only complain is on some pop and some rock recordings but not all.. I might consider getting another bookshelf speaker with soft tweater with high sensitivity then put them on stand next to my RS1. that way I can just swap speakers depending on the music I want to play or depending on the mood :) Soft tweeter for pop and rock, then metal tweeter RS1 for classical, jazz and voice.

For CD player (entry to mid level) which one will give more musicality and a noticeable upgrade from my dvd player? DAC would be nice as well. :)

Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="khian"]Yeah the TA 10.1 can power this 90 DB speakers.. at 12 oclock it stared to really sound loud[/quote]

90db, 12o'clock?

I think you find your speakers are far from 90db efficient, even under ideal lab conditions. If you'd say 83 -84db at 2/3 meter listening distances you'd be a lot closer to the truth. Combine that with an amplifier that produces single figure wattage and even then with rather high distortion I am pretty sure you'll overdrive your amplifier even at relatively modest levels with predictable consequences.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts