CD Player or ipod

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Just wondered your thoughts.

With technology changing and moving forward so quickly. I am looking at Cyrus 8xpd and Cyrus 8se CD Player.

Would anyone think be better to go Cyrus 8xpd and upgrade to QX card and store all music on 120 gig ipod using

Apple lossless or orginal .WAV format, instead of having CD8SE or transport.

Just thinking allowed and wondering which is the way forward.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
this topic might be relevant too?

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/285363.aspx

If you want to use a digital input of the 8xpd with your iPod you'll need to get the Wadia ipod dock too.

Other options include Airport Express, Squeezebox, a PC, etc. Personally, I'd go with the 8xpd and streaming via a squeezebox or Airport Express over the 8SE.

Rob.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i'm a bit lazy and all my music is saved on a desktop pc in my spare room which doesn't get turned on very often unless updating music and ipod - hated to have to turn on for the squeezbox, although with a dac its great and if your pc is always on is a very good product - i went for the wadia as enjoy the plug and play side of things, stick in ipod 10secs later all playing instead of waiting for comp to boot ect

if a lot of our music is stored on pc and ipod i would try the qx and wadia

Also something else to think about if buying the amp for the dac - buy a cheaper cdp than the 8se and just use it as a transport - and try comparing the two throught the amp - you could find the 8se a massive waste of money since your shelling out on the amp - also try buying a 2nd hand amp off ebay and using the amp trade in on the cyrus website and get the qx for half price plus amp cost off ebay

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Agree with not wanting a PC on all the time, I bought a Netgear Ready NAS duo to get around this. This solved a few problems: plenty of storage, resilience (RAID 2 * 1TB disks) and comes pre-installed with SqueezeCenter. I set it to auto power up and down and fitted a "quiet fan" £6 from PC World to make it quieter.

Also agree on not buying an 8SE when buying an 8XPd, why buy two expensive DACs?

Having said all that, an iPod is probably an easier solution!

Nice speakers BTW
emotion-1.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i had roksan kit for a quite a while and always was considering buying the caspisan kit but got offered a mega deal on the mf and arcams so bought them withoug a demo which was a bit risky but was kit from companies that i was familiar with and liked the sound of - thing they really gel well creating a rich, warm and smooth sound which the pl100s seems to relish - how are they with the caspian?

Did you but the matching stands and have you mass loaded them?

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Not too much of a risk, you're not going to go far wrong with Arcam and MF!

The Cyrus/Caspian/PL100 combo works really well together, tight & well defined bass (my previous speakers always had a tendency to boom) but it's the midrange and treble that's really special!

If I ever manage to sell my house and end up with a larger room for the hi-fi I'd definitely consider upgrading to the PL200s or 300s - make a nice HT setup!

I'm not actually using the Cyrus combo right now (see my other post for what I've done to my DAC-X), I'm having to use my MF V-DAC instead and to be honest I'm surprised how little difference there is between it and the DAC-X (£129 vs £1100!).

BTW, I actually demo'd the PL100s with Arcam kit and so they must have sounded good together for me to buy them :)

EDIT : Yep, have the PL100 stands and have mass loaded them with bits of metal made for the job (can't remember the brand). I mainly bought the stands for their looks, I'm sure other stands e.g., Partington would sounds just as good.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
atabites? - i have put in a couple of kg also - i have the matching center - pl150 - creates a nice sound together - sorry read the xdac post - not good - i'm sure cyrus will fix pretty quick

A

Anonymous

see my just posted comparison on these issues .

BTW I have no idea whether my apple was lossless - I just downlloaded the track from the cd or what spotify streams in

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your input.

I am still confused which way to go. I know alot of people still want to go for CD players.

The bonus of ipod will be that i can have all my cds on one unit.

The CD8SE is a big investment and wonder if the quality would be comparable.

Its a tough decsion

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts