CD Conditioner - CD MAT any Good ???

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine in the US said the music quality has noticeable improvement when a CD mat is put on the CD during normal playback but unfortunately I cannot find such product in the UK. There is a review on the CD Mat that my friend has been using, see the link below: http://www.stereomojo.com/MILLENNIUM%20CD%20MAT%20REVIEW/MillenniumCDMatReview.htm I wonder if anyone has any experience in using a CD mat ?? What is its effect on the sound quality ??

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
If I may pop in here with my tu'ppence worth . . .

One of my favourite CD transports I've used for years is an old Sony (model # escapes me now, it's long gone) that requires you to place a rather large metal "puck" on the drive spindle after loading a disc.
The guy from Sony explained that this set up reduced the vibration while the disc is spinning and thereby reduces the amount of error correction used (almost no discs are 100% digitally perfect).
Less error correction means a truer reproduction of the data.
It did sound better and there is a clear scientific correalation as to why it did.

A few years ago I seem to remember some product that was basically a thick black marker pen that required you to deface the label side of your CD to prevent the laser beam from scattering and causing read errors in the playback.
Gave it a try but no difference probably due to the extremely tight focus of said laser in the transport.

Around the same time, there was also a CD mat around similar to the one mentioned above and although marginal, there was a sound difference to be heard although not astonishingly different.

However, I am an old school engineer who believes that while analogue signal cables DO obviously make a difference, well made digital cables do not, neither do mains cables (I have yet to hear a difference in the set up I use anyway).
But I must admit there is something about CD mats that does indeed influence the data coming off the transport electronics and thereby influencing the audio.

If you get the chance to audition such mats, I suggest you try and you may be surprised.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Tonya:

However, I am an old school engineer who believes that while analogue signal cables DO obviously make a difference, well made digital cables do not, neither do mains cables (I have yet to hear a difference in the set up I use anyway).
But I must admit there is something about CD mats that does indeed influence the data coming off the transport electronics and thereby influencing the audio.

If you get the chance to audition such mats, I suggest you try and you may be surprised.

Nice post Tonya

Digital cables have been measured to affect jitter, which in turn will have an affect on the stream (Whether or not we could notice the difference is entirely subjective). 24 bit sound in paticular is highly susceptible to jitter, and as yet I dont know of any source that can cope with the jitter levels required to keep it entirely error free.

As for mains, Ive no clue which youve tried, but if you have a nice clean mains supply then its unlikely theyd make any difference anyways

On a side note, I have a cd 'ringmat' (or something), but it once got jammed in my cd player so ive never used it since.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Tonya:

If I may pop in here with my tu'ppence worth . . .

One of my favourite CD transports I've used for years is an old Sony (model # escapes me now, it's long gone) that requires you to place a rather large metal "puck" on the drive spindle after loading a disc.
The guy from Sony explained that this set up reduced the vibration while the disc is spinning and thereby reduces the amount of error correction used (almost no discs are 100% digitally perfect).
Less error correction means a truer reproduction of the data.
It did sound better and there is a clear scientific correalation as to why it did.

A few years ago I seem to remember some product that was basically a thick black marker pen that required you to deface the label side of your CD to prevent the laser beam from scattering and causing read errors in the playback.
Gave it a try but no difference probably due to the extremely tight focus of said laser in the transport.

Around the same time, there was also a CD mat around similar to the one mentioned above and although marginal, there was a sound difference to be heard although not astonishingly different.

Hi,

Interested to hear of the metal puck you mentioned with the old Sony, Naim Audio use a similar device on their CDP's, but not sure what it's made of, some lightweight plastic with a magnet imbedded inside which holds the CD firmly in place.

Sugden A21L amp, Naim CD5XS CDP, Chord Cobra3 i.c. ProAc Studio 130 speakers.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
After hearing all the comments I could not resist to have a go but with fingers cross. I could not trace the CD Mat I mentioned which is made of carbon fiber in this country and so ordered one from the US.

The CD Mat arrived a few days ago and I listened to quite a large number of CDs with and without the CD Mat on top. Now I can conclude that the CD Mat really WORKS !!!! The sound quality has noticeable improvements, the bass is more tight and the music are more pleasant to the ears. Noticeably is the very clear separation of different instruments. My friends after hearing said the music was more analogue than digital. Though the price is a bit on the expensive side I have no complaint and from now on I cannot play a CD without it.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
There were a number of the 'stabilising puck' players. I think the top loading Sony CDP-X3000ES was one.

cdpx3000es004.jpg

And the XA20ES was the other that I know off...

1206.jpg

A

Anonymous

I use a Marigo Labs 3D Image Stabaliser which is basically the same thing and have found it does improve the sound. probably not best used in budget systems as the improvements are subtle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts