Can we have a new BluRay spec item please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

I think for 500 quid plus, I'd quite like a manufacturer's guarantee
emotion-2.gif

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I think for 500 quid plus, I'd quite like a manufacturer's guarantee
emotion-2.gif

CRT Projectors seem to have had very good customer service reviews. Judging by the amount they're selling, I don't think they're likely to go out of business in the next 12 months!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pete321:JohnDuncan:I think for 500 quid plus, I'd quite like a manufacturer's guarantee
emotion-2.gif

CRT Projectors seem to have had very good customer service reviews. Judging by the amount they're selling, I don't think they're likely to go out of business in the next 12 months!

Let's hope there aren't any problems with the units then, they won't be in business in 12 months if they have to replace all the boxes they've sold themselves.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:pete321:JohnDuncan:I think for 500 quid plus, I'd quite like a manufacturer's guarantee
emotion-2.gif

Let's hope there aren't any problems with the units then, they won't be in business in 12 months if they have to replace all the boxes they've sold themselves.
If they do, you then have a claim against the credit card company. Any company can go under. Legally, your contract is always with the seller, so I dont understand this obsession with manafacturers guarantees.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hammill:the_lhc:pete321:JohnDuncan:I think for 500 quid plus, I'd quite like a manufacturer's guarantee
emotion-2.gif

If they do, you then have a claim against the credit card company.

Only if you bought it with a credit card... You still won't get a replacement box though.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Well, what sort of idiot buys anything of value on the web without using a credit card, given the free protection that provides?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hammill:heystak:When I were a lad you had to catch a no22 bus, sit through a B movie then 20 minutes of Pearl & Dean before the main feature came on. What an impatient society we live in. If someone brought out a new car and said it handles better than the last model, uses less fuel than the last model and by the way you have to start it with a starting handle, how many do you think they would sell? The only reason blu-ray sells as well as it does is that the vast majority of punters have no idea how incredibly unusable most blu-ray players are.

Unusable? Seriously, from putting in a BD and the film starting doesn't take that long. You can skip through the ads. There may be a delay of about 10 seconds before you can press play once you've got through the ads. I really don't think back to dvd players and think, "wow, they were so quick"!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
credit card protection is a really good last-resort, but I wouldn't like to depend on it as a sole remedy. It doesn't always apply in respect of debit cards too. In these turbulent times, I'd prefer a manufacturer's warranty before the protection afforded by the (now a matter of public record) wonderful Henry of CRT. Retailers are failing up and down the country, manufacturers are less likely to. (Although OPPO are no Sony/Pioneer etc).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hammill:If you don't have a credit card and you have enough money to buy a £500 blu-ray player, that sounds pretty dumb to me

Really? sounds pretty sensible to me, I'd have enough money for a £500 blu-ray player, if I didn't have any credit cards...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:

hammill:If you don't have a credit card and you have enough money to buy a £500 blu-ray player, that sounds pretty dumb to me

Really? sounds pretty sensible to me, I'd have enough money for a £500 blu-ray player, if I didn't have any credit cards...
Really? Surely you don't borrow money on them? My credit card gives me cash back, protection on all purchases between £100-£30000 (if I remember the law correctly) itemised bills and 6 weeks interest free credit. It has never cost me a penny.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site

This is just an odd statement and sounds more than a bit inflammatory to me. There are plenty of people out there with more than enough money to spend on nice things that choose to do so without the use of credit cards, especially now that we have the convenience of debit cards. What's the point in possibly having to pay interest on something if you have the cash to pay for it? You'll find quite a few people out there who have money and consider credit cards a trap for debt.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hammill:the_lhc:hammill:If you don't have a credit card and you have enough money to buy a £500 blu-ray player, that sounds pretty dumb to me

Really? Surely you don't borrow money on them? My credit card gives me cash back, protection on all purchases between £100-£30000 (if I remember the law correctly) itemised bills and 6 weeks interest free credit. It has never cost me a penny.

Well done, I'm so pleased your superior earning power allows you to do that, but we can't all be as great as you are.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Realy don't undrstand all this fuss...

Switch on system

load disc

go and choose bottle
emotion-22.gif

remove cork/crown cap etc

select crisps/nuts/popcorn

return to viewing room and there is the menu ready and waiting

A

Anonymous

The JVC XV-BP1 appears to be one of the new operationally quicker machines. DVD performance isn't great but is probably similar to other big brands in this respect. It's under £300 and available from a range of UK retailers including CRT Projectors.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything over the net without using a credit card. Some cards offer an interest free period i.e. 56 days and no interest charge if the balance is settled in full. So even if you have the cash it can gain a bit more interest and still have the protection of the credit card without running up dept/interest charges.

Dasp

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:hammill:the_lhc:hammill:If you don't have a credit card and you have enough money to buy a £500 blu-ray player, that sounds pretty dumb to me

Well done, I'm so pleased your superior earning power allows you to do that, but we can't all be as great as you are.

This has little to do with earning power. If you don't have the cash to hand, you either save up for an expensive item in instalments then buy it, or buy it now and pay later, in instalments. Either way, you're taking some of your income and putting it aside If you choose to use a credit card for the former, you get the protection, the interest free period and the opportunity to earn a bit of interest on your pile of cash before the cc payment. If you use a cc to go down the latter route, you get the protection, the interest free period and the opportunity to pay them a "bit" of interest. If you are not careful to pay it off quickly, the "bit" can be very large indeed!

Simples, to quote the meerkat!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:hammill:the_lhc:hammill:If you don't have a credit card and you have enough money to buy a £500 blu-ray player, that sounds pretty dumb to me

I agree. I reckon a large proportion of the country's credit card owners use a CC as it's the only way to be able to buy certain things and not many actually take advantage of the positive points mentioned above. And I bet the CC companies are fully aware of this!!

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Personally I hate credit cards, far too easy for me to spend what I ain't got! But I had to give in and get one as I got fed up with my debit card being used fraudulantly, at least with a credit card it's the banks money they're spending and not mine!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pete321:Personally I hate credit cards, far too easy for me to spend what I ain't got!

Yes and when I was young and foolish that's exactly what I did (and I'm still using the amp and speakers now!).

But I had to give in and get one as I got fed up with my debit card being used fraudulantly, at least with a credit card it's the banks money they're spending and not mine!

I just don't buy very much online full stop, credit card or otherwise I'm far too worried about getting ripped off to risk it!

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc: I just don't buy very much online full stop,

Trouble is, by not buying online, there's a good chance you're paying too much for stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts