Can we have a new BluRay spec item please

John Duncan

Time taken to load a reference disc please - disc of your choosing. Am not buying BluRay until I know I can switch it on and watch without having to go and make a cup of tea. Or more accurately, am not buying another piece of technology that Mrs D will perceive as being 'worse than the old one' in any way (cf Apple Macintosh).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I don't know, Mr Duncan - how easy would it be to include a new spec item?
emotion-4.gif

Seriously, though, it's become more of a concern now that not all the players are glacially slow, and I'm sure any which are particularly alactritous, or indeed lollygag around for ages, will be highlighted in our reviews.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It has to be mentioned that some discs take longer to load than others, depending on the interminable amount of BD Live/Menu content some marketing 'genius' has decided to include....

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:The six second claim is for power-up, not disc-load, IIRC...

really? What sort of joke technology is this?! So, 6 seconds to turn it on (again no jokes) and another how long exactly (on average) to get the disc loaded??

Does the disc load time arise every time you insert a new disc, or just the first time you insert that particular disc?

I'm quite angry now. Damn you, non-life-making-better technology!!

A

Anonymous

When I were a lad you had to catch a no22 bus, sit through a B movie then 20 minutes of Pearl & Dean before the main feature came on.

What an impatient society we live in.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
heystak:When I were a lad you had to catch a no22 bus, sit through a B movie then 20 minutes of Pearl & Dean before the main feature came on. What an impatient society we live in.

Yeah but at least you get the Pearl and Dean music that way. I'm thinking of getting the audio off their website, sticking it on a USB stick and then playing it before I watch any film once I've upgraded my AV amp!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:It has to be mentioned that some discs take longer to load than others, depending on the interminable amount of BD Live/Menu content some marketing 'genius' has decided to include....
Presumably you can test each player with the same discs, so load time would still be comparable? One without too much rubbish and one known to be slow.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
heystak:When I were a lad you had to catch a no22 bus, sit through a B movie then 20 minutes of Pearl & Dean before the main feature came on. What an impatient society we live in.

heystak - pls summrz.

emotion-5.gif

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
heystak:When I were a lad you had to catch a no22 bus, sit through a B movie then 20 minutes of Pearl & Dean before the main feature came on. What an impatient society we live in. If someone brought out a new car and said it handles better than the last model, uses less fuel than the last model and by the way you have to start it with a starting handle, how many do you think they would sell? The only reason blu-ray sells as well as it does is that the vast majority of punters have no idea how incredibly unusable most blu-ray players are.

John Duncan

Big Aura:
i cannot wait for this month's magazine - do tell, do the new Sony players live up to their "six second" claim?

No jokes about my own "six second" claim, please.

I'm not allowed to say.

Anyway, whilst a delay of four minutes might normally be a cause for celebration in the Duncan household, it's bad enough getting Mrs D to just sit down and watch a film, never mind there being any sort of "palaver" attached...

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:It has to be mentioned that some discs take longer to load than others, depending on the interminable amount of BD Live/Menu content some marketing 'genius' has decided to include....
Agreed Clare, But surely its possible to make [it/them] part of an options menu at start up.Another bugbear is some discs come with three or four trailers on top of all that.Admitted once the first one gets underway the skip feature can be used.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan: I'm not allowed to say. Anyway, whilst a delay of four minutes might normally be a cause for celebration in the Duncan household, it's bad enough getting Mrs D to just sit down and watch a film, never mind there being any sort of "palaver" attached...

I think I must have been living with your missus for the last ten years...

Having said that we have watched a couple of films in the last month or so, all off Sky Box Office however, Gran Torino was one, I forget the earlier one, oh yeah, Yes Man, enjoyed them.

I also managed to get her to watch most of Hellboy II, she hated it, until the Barry Manilow scene and then she realised that demons are people too and kind of got into it!
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
RodhasGibson:But surely its possible to make [it/them] part of an options menu at start up.

You think the studios are going to spend all that money on extra content and then let you skip it? Who do you think they're making the discs for - you or their marketing departments -?
emotion-5.gif

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
This is why the Oppo player seems so interesting. A certain American reviewer has been keeping tabs on the Blu-ray players that have passed though his reviewing chambers on some exact timings for different players to run the Ratatouille BD (a particularly BD-java intensive one that makes loads of players cogitate). Anyhow in these findings (I'm not sure on the rules for quoting other reviewers' stats so I'll keep it short) the Oppo is nearly as quick and in some cases quicker than the PS3 on loading Ratatouille while compared to the Panny BD55 it took 27secs to get video onscreen compared to panny's 52. With material that was less java-laden the reviewer even said that when he got up to change discs he was surprised to find the new disk playing before he could get back to the sofa. Now that sounds a bit like what we expect from DVD does it not? With this in mind I'd say that BD decks performing with the speed of DVD decks are already arriving and should be the norm over the next model year with those being singled out as "slow-pokes" becoming more the exception than the rule.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts