Can poor quality cables and interconnects lead to harsh treble?

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I am trying to set up my mates system for him - he has a cyrus pre power combination and he has also brought some neat motive 2s. I have a very similar setup and have a similar problem - The treble seems to be a bit harsh. The one thing we do have in common is not particularly good cables and interconnects (funding issues). I was under the impression that poor cables will only lead to a dull sound - however we are experiencing harsh treble. Could this be with the cables or is it just the forward cyrus sound? Any suggestions on speaker cable / interconnects to curb the treble (only a bit)? Baring in mind im on a tight budget prob no more than 50 pounds. Cheers!

nads

`cables can not add anything to a system only take it away. if your system is going to be bright then the better the cables the brighter it will be. so you could have a look for some cable that hides the brightness!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nads"]`cables can not add anything to a system only take it away.
if your system is going to be bright then the better the cables the brighter it will be.

so you could have a look for some cable that hides the brightness![/quote]

totally wrong im afraid matey, cables can bring out what was already hiding in your system, you just wont know till you change them.

I was using some quite crappy speaker cable until recently, changed to the qed silver aniversary and the boost it gave to my set up was quite frankly amazing, the bass factor rocketed and the whole sound in general gained oodles and oodles of depth, when i changed interconnects to really good ones i actually couldnt notice a damn thing lol

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Quite, but that doesnt mean the cable was adding anything, it means it was taking away less. it may seem like im just playing with words, but its a pretty important distinction.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]overly thin cable can give the impression of brightness - i tried some QED SA XT and although it was innitially pleasing, it was robbing me of bass - so I have some 4mm cheap copper multistrand now - much better[/quote]

Strange, my bass depth,punch etc all excelled with this cable.

A

Anonymous

Van den Hul cables would certainly take the edge of the bright treble. Try to listen to some vdh the name and cs-122 speaker cables. Used this in my previous marantz setup to calm the bright treble.Also have Gotham interconnect- I'd say it's better than the vdh but not sure if it would suite your system. According to some forum members Gotham speaker cable is also very good value for money.(ebay only- bought mine here: http://stores.ebay.nl/UK-CBE)Both suggestion will give you more quality sound than freebies. Ask your local dealer for some vdh to try out at home.

MRB

Feb 20, 2007
Visit site
I sometimes find that interconnects using large metal plugs sound more harsh than cables using plastic plugs (i.e eichmann bullet plugs).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts