Can noise in dark screens be reduced with Hi Definition Sources? Samsung PS50Q97HD

Sliced Bread

Hi Folks,

I have recently bought a Samsung PS50Q97HD plasma screen and Denon 1930 DVD player. For the most part they are fantastic, however on particularly dark & murky scenes such as those in the lord of rings there is quite a bit of noise. Skin tones also tend to go a little green in shadows. Is this normal and does upgrading to a HI-DEF source (i.e. Sky / HD DVD / Blue Ray) eliminate this problem?

Also is there any difference between the PS50Q97HD and PS50Q97HDX. I ordered the PS50Q97HDX but I received the PS50Q97HD. I'm not too sure if it is the same thing?

Big thanks to anyone that can help.
John

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I reckon the green skin tones in shadows might be down to the transfer to disc, or could just be a slight colour problem you could eliminate with some adjustment of the TV. The noise in dark and murky scenes could just be film grain, although even the best sets show some noise in dark scenes - it's really nothing to worry about.

Not sure whether a hi-def source would solve the problem - LOTR series not out on HD DVD (or indeed Blu-ray) yet, so who can tell?

And those model numbers? Samsung is infamous for doing special model numbers for particular big retailers - I'm pretty confident it's the same set.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Defintely worth checking out our guide: How to boost your TV's performance.

As an avid viewer of Sky HD movies, I can add that the picture quality often surpasses that of my DVDs, with contrast being particularly impressive. Haven't seen the LOTR trilogy on there, but the latest Star Wars movies are teeming with extra detail in dark scenes, for example.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts