Can I use my Audiolab 8000A integrated amp as a pre-amp

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Can I use my Audiolab 8000A integrated amp as a pre-amp by just connecting a set of leads to the Pre-amp out section. The instruction manual is confusing

If so I thought I might try and buy a secondhand power amp (Audiolab or suggestions) but what interconnect cables do I need.

How much difference will it make

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Theres an informative looking thread on another forum about this... I'll not link as it breaks house rules, but shouldnt be too difficult to find. Looks like its not simple. Google "Audiolab 8000A manual" and it is the first result.

A

Anonymous

Hi. Just to add this also. May be useful. Good luck! http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/25/separating-the-pre-and-power-sections-on-an-audiolab-8000a.htm

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Lost Angeles"]Anyone know what the 'Pre-amp out and power amp in' is for then[/quote]

The amp can be be used as a preamp or a power amp, or a quick dealer modification could separate the pre and power sections internally so that the two sections function entirely separately.

If this isn't done, the preout can be used in tandem with the power amp, allowing you to for example to connect an extra power amp to biamp suitable speakers, or provide a stereo feed to a subwoofer.

I wouldn't suggest using the power amp input unless the internal switch has been made, or you have no sources connected to the Audiolab and are using it with an external preamplifier, purely as a power amp.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew.

I think I'll try and get a secondhand 8000P from E-Bay and some interconnects and give it a try.

I think getting 2 mono amps and bi-amping is interesting but I need to get some other gear first

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts