Can I connect my stereo amp to AV Amp - 1 set of speakers?

tommypenngotti

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Hello - I have a Marantz PM11S1 Stereo amp / Sony DE-675 Surround Amp ...I know there is a way using pre outs to connect the (2) amps with 1 set of speakers however, my Sony DE-675 does not have "pre outs" - here is the back panel...is there a way to connect my front 2 speakers and sub to both? Thanks!

here are both back panels :

http://www.audiocamp.net/freedata/sangwon/sangwon15/20050317_131158_AwLl.jpg

http://www.hifiengine.com/images/model/sony_str-de675_rear_panel.jpg

Gray

Hello tommypenngotti

The best way to do it would be to connect from 'Recorder 1' output on the Marantz to the 'Aux In' on the Sony. This is a fixed level output - so you will only need to use the volume control on the surround amplifier.

You will then of course just need to select the 'Aux' input on the Sony whenever you want to hear the sources on the Marantz amp.

If you find that the above doesn't work, it will be because there is no signal at the Marantz 'Recorder 1' output. Use the front panel selectors / Marantz instruction manual to ensure that there is. (There may be an option to select between 'Source' and 'Recorder 2' - in which case, select 'Source')

Don't use the 'Pre Out' of the Marantz, which is designed to feed power amps via its volume control.

Gray

tommypenngotti said:
Gray - I'm thinking of getting a replacement AVR that has "pre outs" , would this be a best route for separate hifi amp for music routine?

thanks

When it comes to playing music tommypenngotti, is your Marantz amplifier not good enough (into its own speakers)?

As far as new AVRs go, one with 'Pre outs' could feed additional power amplifier(s) but your audio source would still be compromised by going through the AVR, so there would be no advantage for sound quality when compared to a dedicated, decent 2 channel amp.

Maybe you can upgrade your Marantz. But I would not be considering any new AVR if high quality stereo audio was my top priority.

tommypenngotti

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure If I was clear in the beginning - The Marantz (Audio) & my current Sony (surround) are using the same set of speakers . I'm trying to use both amps (not simutaneously) with the same speakers . I was told the best way to do this is having the AVR having "pre outs" I can interconnect the 2 amps and set the Marantz at unity when watching a movie using the AVR. The problem is my Sony doesnt have "pre outs" .

thanks!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
tommypenngotti said:
I'm not sure If I was clear in the beginning - The Marantz (Audio) & my current Sony (surround) are using the same set of speakers . I'm trying to use both amps (not simutaneously) with the same speakers . I was told the best way to do this is having the AVR having "pre outs" I can interconnect the 2 amps and set the Marantz at unity when watching a movie using the AVR. The problem is my Sony doesnt have "pre outs" .

thanks!

So if your Marantz has 'unity gain' - using an AVR with front left & right speaker pre-outs allows you to watch films, where the Marantz will drive the front left & right speakers - thus allowing you to only need one set of speakers (front left & right). But for music, the best option is to have your music sources fed directly into the Marantz.

Originally (due to budget reasons) I could not do that so I currently have two sets of speakers - one fed from my AVR, and one fed from my hifi amp (s). My new amp has av bypass (unity gain) so eventually when I upgrade my AVR, I will be getting one with pre-outs, so that I only have one set of speakers (that'll cheer my wife up).

So yes, you need an AVR with front left & right pre-outs.

Samd

tommypenngotti said:

thanks!

I know the Assyrians will come down on me (like the wolves on the fold!) but I use an automatic switch connected to both amps and to one pair of speakers. The 'extra' connection involved is only the same as the extra connection in pre-outs! It works brilliantly and seamlessly.

SpeakerCraft SL-One Switcher from StoneAudio - £70

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
tommypenngotti said:

thanks!

So if your Marantz has 'unity gain' - using an AVR with front left & right speaker pre-outs allows you to watch films, where the Marantz will drive the front left & right speakers - thus allowing you to only need one set of speakers (front left & right). But for music, the best option is to have your music sources fed directly into the Marantz.

Originally (due to budget reasons) I could not do that so I currently have two sets of speakers - one fed from my AVR, and one fed from my hifi amp (s). My new amp has av bypass (unity gain) so eventually when I upgrade my AVR, I will be getting one with pre-outs, so that I only have one set of speakers (that'll cheer my wife up).

So yes, you need an AVR with front left & right pre-outs.

The best way to share front speakers is to connect them directly to the stereo amp, connect all your audio only source boxes (like CD players, turntables, etc.) to the stereo amp as well. Speaker switch boxes may work, and you may be successful, but purists will always argue that the more mechanical connections in a signal path there are the worse the signal is likely to get.

Your blu-ray or DVD player, satellite TV boxes, etc. should be connected to the AVR. If you use your Blu-Ray or DVD player to play CDs, experiment with using a fibre-optic or co-axial interconnect or the left and right audio outputs of the BDP / DVDP directly to the stereo amp. Which you choose depends on whether your amp has a DAC or not, and, or course you could always buy a separate DAC.

If your current AVR doesn't have pre-amp outputs, but DOES have tape outputs, or VCR outputs, you may (surround that "may with a big red flashing warning sign) be able to use those to feed the front left and front right channels from your AVR into your stereo amp as they should be the same line level voltage as the pre-amp outputs. If you experiment with this be sure to start with the stereo amp volume set very very VERY low though.

tommypenngotti

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys! Which AVR do you recommend for under $500 . I broke the bank on the Marantz Stereo amp so I'd like to keep costs down on the AVR . I've been looking at Denon / Marantz / Yamaha....thanks .....also , with the " pre out chain" assuming my sub will remain input into the Marantz Stereo 2 channel amp correct?

thanks again!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
tommypenngotti said:
Thanks guys! Which AVR do you recommend for under $500 . I broke the bank on the Marantz Stereo amp so I'd like to keep costs down on the AVR . I've been looking at Denon / Marantz / Yamaha....thanks .....also , with the " pre out chain" assuming my sub will remain input into the Marantz Stereo 2 channel amp correct?

thanks again!

I'm not up on the latest AVR's but I'm not sure you'll get a new AVR with pre-outs for under $500, you might get a 2nd hand one? Also, you've not said which country you are in?

As for the sub, my sub has both high and low level connections, so I can connect to both my AVR and stereo amp simultaneously. Have a look at your subs instruction manual.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
But you're not going to get a full-size 7.2 receiver with pre-amp outs for under $900 plus tax, unless they've got a Cyber Monday special or unless you buy used or from some dodgy guy on Fleabay.

Edit - I've got an old Onkyo TX-NR717 you can have for $200 and it comes with free smoke effects ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts