Can I boost my Sky?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My Sky box (just a regular one) keeps clicking and blocking on certain channels. I have updated the software but to no avail. My signal strength is around 75% and my siganl quality is around 50%. Can you buy a booster (like an aerial booster) to get a bit more from the satellite signal.

I have recently upgraded to a quad LNB in anticipation of the Fressat PVR so need the strongest signal possible.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Sounds like the dish is not aligned properly. did you realign it after fitting your new LNB?

A

Anonymous

Nope - didn't move it at all. The signal is the same as it was previously - it's always been like this.

My neighbour says it is actually a better signal level than he has.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
robert_shaw_2.jpg
Gunna need a bigger dish...

A

Anonymous

I can tell you from my own experience and cost, that when changing from a single/duel to a quad LNB the dish needs to be re-aligned.

A

Anonymous

Very clever Andrew.

So, it may mean that I now have to get a little 'dish-alignment-pointy-thingy' to make sure.

Bah, humbug.

So is the cause of high pitched clicks and some picture blocking/noise the dish being mis-aligned or can this happen on the weaker channels even if the dish is Ok? In other words, because I am experiencing this intemittently is the dish the only possible culprit or could it be that my 8 year old Sky box may be on the way out.

(Hope so, it means it would have to be replaced with a freesat HD box).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
groberton:
Very clever Andrew.

One tries one's little best.

groberton:

So, it may mean that I now have to get a little 'dish-alignment-pointy-thingy' to make sure.

Bah, humbug.

Yes, I think that would be sensible, but with signal strength that low a bigger dish would probably help, too.

groberton:So
is the cause of high pitched clicks and some picture blocking/noise the
dish being mis-aligned or can this happen on the weaker channels even
if the dish is Ok? In other words, because I am experiencing this
intemittently is the dish the only possible culprit or could it be that
my 8 year old Sky box may be on the way out.

Could be any of the above - recently had big probs with our Sky HD installation at home and as well as changing the box, the Sky engineer also changed the dish, which had been up for about six years. Being out in the elements they do deteriorate over time, after all, and since yours has presumably been up for eight it might be time to think about a new one. A bigger one, preferably, if you live in an area with weak signal.

Of course, channels with weaker signal will emphasise any of these problems, too...

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew. Only problem is that as I wasn't watching a lot of TV, I dropped my subscription and went for the free sky offering.

Now with a new Pioneer plasma (yes, I stopped asking questions and bought one, and am I glad I did!), I upgraded my LNB ready for a shiny new Freesat PVR box. I had hoped it was down to the Sky box and not the dish. Looks like I need to get a 'proper' installer to look at it.

A

Anonymous

Is some of the channels not working all the time or just some times?

First thing I would do was borrow somebody elses box and see if it is ok. I had one fail before.

Is it worse when its raining heavy?

Did you still have this problem with the original LNB?

If it is a lot of channels at a time, it sounds like it could be either alignment or voltage switching between vertical and horizontal polarization.

Also have you checked the condition of the dish? If you fitted the LNB yourself, did you cover the connection with amalgimating tape or a boot? Also, after changing LNB, you should re-tune alingment.

If you are in England or Wales or Eastern Ireland the 60cm dish should be just fine.

Boo

A

Anonymous

Boo

It is only on some channels, some of the time that I get a high pitched click every so often, or the picture breaks up a little or freezes. For example, if you watch E4, the picture may break up a bit, but if you switch to BBC1 then it is 100% stable. But then the next day E4 may be 100% stable too. The weather doesn't seem to affect it.

I will try to borrow a box.

I havent put the original LNB back as I had this problem with that one too.

The dish looked OK, as good as anything would look being bolted to the sode of the house for 7 or so years. I covered the connection with a little tape and then slid the cover over to protect agianst the elements.

What's 're-une alignment'? Is this within the sky box or physically using a meter and the dish?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yup. Though obviously you need to check alignment after installation.

I think there should be a "Funniest Individual Post of the Year" Award and this gets my vote. -thank you John(Andrew).

-exits to change nappy

daveh75

would defiately check dish alignment, also did you have this problem before changing the lnb if so would definately try borrowing another stb to try. its also not unheard of for new lnb's to be faulty out the box especially duel/quad lnb's

would seriously reconmend getting an independent installer in though, you could buy one of those cheap sat meters to check alignment but there not that great. it will just beep and the beep will get stronger the better you get the signal, but you cant fine tune with one of those. if you get a pro in the meter he will use will give a more accurate reading.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'd also agree with getting a local independent round, but it might cost a few bob for the privilege.

I though 70% signal strength was pretty adequate for Sky, so the 50% quality seems strange.

Where I am currently the strength is about 20%, yet quality is about 60% and the image is fine.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

JohnDuncan:Isn't that "fish"?

Like this, you mean...?

shark_big.jpg

Don't you need planning permission for that though for altering the visual appearance and smell of the building? Also, that tail needs aligning its hanging a bit to the left.

On a more serious note, I can't say I know much about Sky but their standard dish isn't a full dish but a squashed mini dish and I just wonder if putting a quad LNB on there doesn't perhaps split the signal too many ways - I doubt its quite as powerful as a regular shaped dish because there's less catchment area. Probably a regular 60 or maybe to make sure, an 80cm dish upgrade would offer better reception. You can get polycarbonate (totally clear) dishes if visual impact is important. In fact with polycarb it would probably be less visible than your minidish from the road.

Other thing is make sure you have good cable as with a marginal signal you want everything you can get with as little interference as possible. Fitters usually put up pretty cheap cable so you could try an upgrade to something like Webro WF or CT 100 or 125. Can't guarantee a visible difference but it ain't going to hurt to have good quality connections.

A

Anonymous

By re-tune, I just meant check alignment. But to be honest I would say there may be a problem with the box ad the voltage swithing of the polarizer. That is why I said to borrow somebody elses box. I agree with the others in saying 50% and 70% should be fine, so another dis would make no difference.

The no cost option is trying another box. If that does not work I would say it was the cable (RG6) and or connections ('F' connectors)

Boo

daveh75

Alsone:Andrew Everard:

JohnDuncan:Isn't that "fish"?

Like this, you mean...?

shark_big.jpg

Fitters usually put up pretty cheap cable so you could try an upgrade to something like Webro WF or CT 100 or 125.
i have to say i disagree, most independents will most likely be/or have been sub contracting for either sky or tsg(freesat) contractor at some point.in which case thats the minimum requirement set down in there installation specs. so thats what they will tend to use.although obviously if its there own work dont have to adhere to this.but any good installer should. as its good practice. i myself only carry ct100 or pf100 an gets used on all my installation work.

A

Anonymous

I recently moved the position of my TV which required moving all the cables, while doing so i changed out all the cables to PF100 standard and ran them direct from the LNB to the Sky box with no connections, my signal strength has gone up to about 80-85% and the quality is the same, this is quite a big increase over what i had before and it seems a lot more consistant, ie not changing.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
daveh75: i have to say i disagree, most independents will most likely be/or have been sub contracting for either sky or tsg(freesat) contractor at some point.in which case thats the minimum requirement set down in there installation specs. so thats what they will tend to use.although obviously if its there own work dont have to adhere to this.but any good installer should. as its good practice. i myself only carry ct100 or pf100 an gets used on all my installation work.

You're one of the good guys then. :)

Unfortunately many installers use the cheapest possible cable to meet Sky's spec and some use cable that doesn't comply at all.

RG6 or RG59 are all too common.

daveh75

they shouldn't be able do get away with as much as they used to. the main contactor i get my sky work from do regular van checks(raids) and if they find any sub standard cable on your van you get kicked off site an not given any work. even if like me they also do their own work an may be carrying just for that purpose.its not accepted as an excuse.

also both the main contractor and sky both qc the work more than they used too, if they find any sub standard work they stop payment's. by i agree rg6 and 59 are all to common. but shouldn't be the case. well not as much anyway

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts