Can anyone recommend a good, strong pair of speaker stands?

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
1510310358_2063.jpg

Was using the ones pictured (Gorilla GSM-100 monitor stands) But to be honest they were not very good, the weld snapped on one of them earlier (!)

Bought another one as they are so cheap (£15 inc shipping) to get me through the festive period without having lop sided speakers but I could really use a decent pair moving forward.

I'm using very very heavy speakers (9.7 kg each) And I think this is why the gorilla's broke, they obviously aren't designed for such weight. And the triangular base is not very clever either tbh

Don't want to spend a fortune if possible. Surely there are some decent, cheap stands available somewhere?

Thanks

Jez l

May 1, 2020
Visit site
Look for some partington stands on ebay second hand

I've had 3 sets of them, the dreadnoughts, ultimas and now the heavies.

The dreadnoughts are lowest in the range and I've seen them on ebay for around 100 quid, they can be mass loaded too, i reckon they'll weigh about 15 to 20kg once mass loaded. Is this within budget?

Funnily enough I weighed my heavies the other day and they come in at 30kg a piece.

One thing to note, as I progressed through the lartingotn range I noticed a perceived decrease in bass response as the stands got heavier. Unsure if its because bass tightens up on the heavier stands or if indeed there is less bass due to the heavies stands. For reference I use pmc 21 speakers.

Reactions: Longchops

Jez l

May 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi if 100 is a bit too much I'd suggest atacama then.. something like this

Re your point on links to partington, id suggest a Google search for some reviews. They are the real deal but aren't cheap as you've stated above!

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi if 100 is a bit too much I'd suggest atacama then.. something like this

Re your point on links to partington, id suggest a Google search for some reviews. They are the real deal but aren't cheap as you've stated above!

I did try google before asking. Was surprised it didn't throw up a company website hence me asking you, wondered if I had the correct spelling....there was a couple american website singing their praises though

Those atacama ones look a bit more realistic, you think they'd be strong enough? Look quite narrow at the base and top although its v difficult to make out scale in those pics

Jez l

May 1, 2020
Visit site
Ah sorry. To be honest I've never seen a partington website actually. This is a good link though

Regarding the atacama stands, they do look solid, id suggest looking for the specs to check they are ok for your speakers! They should be good enough though.

D

Deleted member 116933

audio affair bought up the brand partington a few years back, dont think they are made by the same people any more. The old versions are of a different design, and certainly keeping out for.

If you want some serious mass on a budget some atacama se24's will do the job, Fill with a thick bag and wet sand tied off they will easily hold 50kg a piece i certainly struggled to move them around once filled, can be had for a for around 20-40 quid

Gray

I've got the Atacama SE24 stands (also with PMC twenty21 on top).
Don't worry, they're strong enough.
Got mine chocabloc full of sand, heavy bastards they are.
£50 seems like a good price, but he's not exactly giving them away, they were only £74 new (if I remember rightly).

Any stands should cope with 9.7kg. It’s certainly not ‘very very heavy’! My CD player weighs more than that!
If you are able to collect then bargains are often available locally, versus the price for an item that can be posted.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Any stands should cope with 9.7kg. It’s certainly not ‘very very heavy’! My CD player weighs more than that!
If you are able to collect then bargains are often available locally, versus the price for an item that can be posted.
Yes. I've just been looking at my SE24.
Due to their construction, there's nothing to break. I have to wonder if there's any weight they couldn't take. Seriously, I'd bet big money on each one (easily) taking the weight of a car.

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
audio affair bought up the brand partington a few years back, dont think they are made by the same people any more. The old versions are of a different design, and certainly keeping out for.

If you want some serious mass on a budget some atacama se24's will do the job, Fill with a thick bag and wet sand tied off they will easily hold 50kg a piece i certainly struggled to move them around once filled, can be had for a for around 20-40 quid

Ah ok thats good to know.....Wet sand though? Wouldn't that rust a bit? Sand is usually quite salty right? I've heard of the sand trick before though, I assumed it was dry......

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site

Thats a heavy CD player then! I've seen 2-3U rack units weigh less than that. Can't really collect atm as have no car. Postage is an arse on heavy stuff but what can you do....

D

Deleted member 116933

Ah ok thats good to know.....Wet sand though? Wouldn't that rust a bit? Sand is usually quite salty right? I've heard of the sand trick before though, I assumed it was dry......

Back in the day they came with thick bags And I don't mean they can support a lot of weight though they can I mean they can be filled with a lot of weight
2 bags of wet sand each easily.

With the bag, they won't rust but needs to be a thick good quality bag either that and if you can find it lead shot or you can use there atabites but really expensive to buy, basically iron filings.

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
I shouldn’t have assumed everyone has the use of a car, sorry. Maybe Santa can lend you his sleigh?

I HAD the use of a car

toyoya celica GT4 she was

Used to shoot flames out the back when she was happy. Until that fateful day when mr vw golf not looking at the road driver smashed me up the arse

My life has never been the same since

D

Deleted member 160668

I've got Atacama HMS2.1 and they are really heavy. Have them 3/4 filled with sand and weigh a ton.

Would be the top end of your budget of you can pick up a 2nd hand pair, but you could probably sit an elephant on each one 👍

I HAD the use of a car

toyoya celica GT4 she was

Used to shoot flames out the back when she was happy. Until that fateful day when mr vw golf not looking at the road driver smashed me up the arse

My life has never been the same since
I sympathise. I had an Audi TT roadster which was my fun car, until my step-daughter didn’t pull the handbrake enough and it demolished a neighbour’s wall and car when it rolled away.

matthewpiano

I sympathise. I had an Audi TT roadster which was my fun car, until my step-daughter didn’t pull the handbrake enough and it demolished a neighbour’s wall and car when it rolled away.

In danger of continuing the drift off-topic, I said goodbye to my car earlier this year - a mere Seat Ibiza. It's 2 years since I had to surrender my driving licence due to health issues, and the situation hasn't improved so it made sense to use the handback option when the PCP came to a close. I've got used to living without a car, though I never expected I would having previously driven 120+ mile round trip daily commutes.

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Thanks a lot everyone.....

the Atacama look like the ones tbh. I'm going to try and find some local because they look a lot cheaper that way! About £100 brand new and they make white ones too, so I'll have a hunt around for a bit and might get those if I can't find a second hand pair :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts