Sony SS-86E or SS-126E bookshelf speakers, stands and a sub?

jasonmiddleton

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone help me please. I've got a pair of Sony SS-86E and a pair of SS-126E speakers which I've had for about ten years but never been able to set up as they should be. However, after moving house I now have the chance to set up my system. I have no speaker stands and have the SS-86E's resting on the SS126E's as speakers stands (which are not being used). Not good I know, but just whilst I decide how to set my system up. I have an old ES amp that I'm using directly from my PC. The SS-86E's were highly rated by What HiFi in their day, seem very clear, but lack base. The SS-126E's have more base but are larger and seem to be less refined. I've been to three local HiFi shops and had three different responses. The first said get some stands and a sub, the second said get some Diamond 9.1 and stands, and the third said the SS-86E's were good speakers and if I replaced them then I'd have to pay about £250 to make a real difference and what i needed was a pair of decent stands. Having taken this on board I am planning to get rid of the SS126E's and buy some Atacama Nexus stands for the SS-86E's and a Yamaha YSTF SW100 Sub. Help and advice please?

T

the record spot

If you like the sound of the SS86's get some good stands from Atacama, Apollo or Partington (the latter may be out your price range though). On the other hand depending on your budget, you might find a good pair of floorstanders for similar money. There's a pair of Mission 733i (not mine, but I've had my speakers for 10 years and they do bass well) on Ebay right now - one bid and sitting at £25 or so. I'd seriously think about putting a bid in on those as they will go for a song and the good thing is they sing like a canary when you hook them up.

The 733i is a great all rounder; it'll do for classical, rock, movies, acoustic....anything you care to throw at it. Originally £330 in its' day, it enjoyed a 5 star WHF review back in 1997. Get a pair of £50 and it's a steal.

matthewpiano

I'd go with the new speaker and stand suggestion. Will leave the Sonys for dead. The SS126Es were very unrefined and a bit ploddy to listen to, and the ss-86Es were never anything other than a budget speaker.

The Diamonds punch well above their weight in every respect but they do need VERY good amplification to give their best. Pairing them with price comparable electronics is never going to get the best out of them and it really depends on which ES amp you have as to whether I would recommend them for your system. Otherwise a pair of Tannoy F1 Customs would be a very good buy. They are fabulous speakers.

jasonmiddleton

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I think my amp is only about 30watts RMS so I'm not sure how it will drive the 9.1s. I'm also tinking that if I buy decent stands, a set of 9.1s and a sub then I'm looking at spending about £300 and my other half wan't like that. I've just seen Richer Sounds selling Tannoy F4 Customs for £150, which would be cheeper than buying decent stands for the SS-86Es and a sub. What HiFi gave the F4 Customs four stars at £380 per pair, so £150 sounds good value for money. I also forgot to say that my set up needs to place the speakers back to the wall as the room is quite small. However, I've seen several tests that say the F4 Customs work well next to walls.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts