Cambridge 840A V2.0 - experiences?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Anyone have any experience of the 840A v2.0? 

Need new map (oh and CD or iPod..). Naim 5i is exciting but a touch too much in your face for me.  Music Fidelity a bit err well something was missing... Read rather OTT reviews of 840 - are they right? And what source - ok CD player do/would you couple up with it?

Thanks people :) 

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
MikeYork:
Anyone have anyÿexperienceÿof the 840A v2.0?ÿ

Need new map (oh and CD or iPod..). Naim 5i is exciting but a touch too much in your face for me. ÿMusicÿFidelityÿa bit err well something was missing... ReadÿratherÿOTT reviews of 840 - are they right? And what source - ok CD player do/would you couple up with it?

ÿ

Thanks people :)ÿ

They sound great. I used one for demoing speakers, with it's matching CD player... which if I was buying the Amp, I would get (It is also a DAC, and will transform other sources sound..DAB etc). Very nice sound IMO.
(tbh, all that put me off buying myself was the fact that here in Sweden, they both retail at over £900)

matthewpiano

Well my 740A and 740C are well run in now and I've just spent all day listening. All I can say is they sound brilliant and I could carry on listening for hours and hours. The best hi-fi I've ever had. I would imagine the 840 series gives even more of the same. The 740 and 840 are a different thing altogether compared to the lower end CA stuff.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I used to have a V1 - Sounded nice enough but terrible reliablility! I wouldn't recomend cambridge gear to anyone again, but thats just my experience. Have a look at used or exdem amps you'd be able to pick up an amp from a few notches up the performance ladder for the same money.

A

Anonymous

I'm in the same process of deciding which amp to choose.

I started the process of building a nice stereo system 2 months ago purchasing a pair of MonitorAudio RS8. The time of the new amp is coming and I need to decide.

I'm between Primare i21 and its sibling cd player or Cambridge Audio 840A + 840C.

So I would like to know your impressions on Cambridge gears, as well.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
SHAXOS:I used to have a V1 - Sounded nice enough but terrible reliablility! I wouldn't recomend cambridge gear to anyone again, but thats just my experience. Have a look at used or exdem amps you'd be able to pick up an amp from a few notches up the performance ladder for the same money.

I have the version 1 and it is brilliant. The only not brilliant review of it that I have come across is from this mag. As for reliabiblity issues, Shaxos, what problems have you had? I've not come up against any problems yet.

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to butt in on this thread but can I just ask Matthew how long did it take to run in your 740a? I've got one in sitting still in its box. I found it rather dry sounding, and a little rough and edgy at the top end. I think I've only used it for about 6 days in total.

It sounds Ok with the CD, but is a little vague and restrained if I play movies from the DVD (Cambridge Audio DVD55) or TV sound from the Humax FoxT2 through it.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey Gerrard, im not going to go into detail with the problems, but lets just say that over a period of 2 years 4 amplifiers were returned to richer sounds. I had to have 2 640v2s then upgraded hoping i wouldent have problems with the flagship. WRONG - had to return the 840 twice. The problems ranged from amp volume adjusting itself to white smoke bellowing out of an amp only a few days old and one packed in straight away. After the fourth return i got myself a refund as the final amp knackered my speakers with its self volume changing antics. Very very poor. I went and got myself a second hand cyrus system which blows it out of the water (imho sound wise) and hurray hurray it didnt break within a month of having it.

A

Anonymous

Wow, It seems incredible.

I've had a lot of electronic stuff (I mean mini hi-fi, TVs, Recievers, etc) and have never had an issue with them. And you have had four problematic amps in two years!!!

I think you have not been very lucky with that... But, I 'll consider your experience before buying. Anyway, GerrardSnails doesn't seem to have had any problem with it. Did you handle it correctly and give them air enough to breathe as it says in the manual? Or did you have them in a cabinet? Just wondering....

Enjoy your new Cyrus.

matthewpiano

Tesler:Sorry to butt in on this thread but can I just ask Matthew how long did it take to run in your 740a? I've got one in sitting still in its box. I found it rather dry sounding, and a little rough and edgy at the top end. I think I've only used it for about 6 days in total.

It sounds Ok with the CD, but is a little vague and restrained if I play movies from the DVD (Cambridge Audio DVD55) or TV sound from the Humax FoxT2 through it.

Quite a lot of hours running in. It is a very honest sound - you hear ALL the detail, especially paired with the 740C. I can understand why some people might find it dry but its never sounded rough or edgy at the top end to me, and I'm using it with speakers that have metal dome tweeters!!! Neither do I find it remotely vague or restrained. Its not for those who like the warm and cuddly Arcam sound. The 740C is about accuracy, detail, excitement and sounding more like live music than hi-fi.

matthewpiano

PS If you have any reservations about reliability pay the extra £50 for Richers 5 year supercare. I've done it on the amp and CD. That way, if there are problems I'm covered and if there aren't I get my supercare money back to invest in upgrades in 5 years. Win win situation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts