Calling Davedotco

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Dave, if you had these two pairs of speakers and had to sell one, which one would you keep for everyday music listening?

Sony SS F7 ESG

or

JBL 4412A

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I really have no idea

The 4412 are of course the direct decendents of the legendary 4310, bit have no real reputation or desirability. I always thought that the small JBLs lacked the ease and presence of their bigger brothers which left them sounding a bit aggressive for everyday use and too small and lacking the 'fun factor' for decent party speakers.

I have never seen the Sony speakers in the UK, they were built in Germany for the German market which suggests they will be over bassy with a bright top end to compensate. This is guesswork though, I have not heard then.

I would probably keep the JBL 'for old times sake', but to be honest, neither really appeal to me.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, the Sonys are 4-ways down to 27Hz in closed box system and nominal 4 ohms. 30 kilos each, Seas drivers, built by Canton Germany, original cost 5000 Deutch Marks. The bass is earth shaking and amp protection mode entering. *biggrin*

JBLs are flat and loud, less problematic to drive but terrible to place (should be horizontal at ear height). Great drivers, horrid crossover and wiring.Also due for an expensive refoam/recone. They don't have the vintage appeal but do have a better sound. These were proper studio monitors, not just control monitors. But compared to todays actives they are not as accurate, more home hi-fi than studio by today's standards.

I'm thinking what to use as second pair of speakers sitting next to the B&W CM1s for those "I need SPL bb!" moments.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Well, the Sonys are 4-ways down to 27Hz in closed box system and nominal 4 ohms. 30 kilos each, Seas drivers, built by Canton Germany, original cost 5000 Deutch Marks. The bass is earth shaking and amp protection mode entering. *biggrin*

JBLs are flat and loud, less problematic to drive but terrible to place (should be horizontal at ear height). Great drivers, horrid crossover and wiring.Also due for an expensive refoam/recone. They don't have the vintage appeal but do have a better sound. These were proper studio monitors, not just control monitors. But compared to todays actives they are not as accurate, more home hi-fi than studio by today's standards.

I'm thinking what to use as second pair of speakers sitting next to the B&W CM1s for those "I need SPL bb!" moments.

A lot will depend on how you like your bass, for a fun speaker I much prefer tight and punchy to big and flatulent, which I feel the big Sonys are likely to be.

The 4412 have neither the bandwidth nor the ouput capability to be used as main monitors, they are just compact monitors typical of their time, they will however sound pretty punchy in a domestic setting.

If they were going to cost, I probably wouldn't bother, Mackie MR8s are available under £400pr, I would probably go down that route.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts