Cables, mains, interconnectors and speaker cables

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I really don't see the ####### logic in changing cables to "increase bass power/depth" etc. Get an equiliser/buy a subwoofer if you want more bass.

It's like as long as the tone control is on defeat if I get more bass it's an improvement...if you want more bass just turn the ###### knob up.

rant over.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
alienmango said:
I really don't see the ####### logic in changing cables to "increase bass power/depth" etc. Get an equiliser/buy a subwoofer if you want more bass.

It's like as long as the tone control is on defeat if I get more bass it's an improvement...if you want more bass just turn the ###### knob up.

rant over.

There's a bit more to it than that I'm afraid :)

TrevC

MattSPL said:
alienmango said:

rant over.

Such as?

TrevC

MattSPL said:
TrevC said:
It's amazing how easy it is to imagine differences that simply cannot exist. The OP is a classic example of the placebo effect in action, as are all the WHF reviews of mains products.

I'm willing to believe Placebo may play a part in people hearing improvements to their systems after adding mains products, but when person after person claims an improvement in performance and precisely describes how the sound changed for the better, It's too much evidence to ignore.

People who report increased performance with mains products always(in my experience) state the same findings, including increased bass power and depth and overall increased clarity. If it was placebo, surely there would be more veriety in what way the sound of the system improves as each persons expectations will be different.

The clue was in the words "cannot exist". it isn't possible for the wire, or any other mains device that only connects to the mains, to influence the quality of anything. If you think you hear a difference you are mistaken.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
MattSPL said:
TrevC said:
It's amazing how easy it is to imagine differences that simply cannot exist. The OP is a classic example of the placebo effect in action, as are all the WHF reviews of mains products.

I'm willing to believe Placebo may play a part in people hearing improvements to their systems after adding mains products, but when person after person claims an improvement in performance and precisely describes how the sound changed for the better, It's too much evidence to ignore.

People who report increased performance with mains products always(in my experience) state the same findings, including increased bass power and depth and overall increased clarity. If it was placebo, surely there would be more veriety in what way the sound of the system improves as each persons expectations will be different.

The clue was in the words "cannot exist". it isn't possible for the wire, or any other mains device that only connects to the mains, to influence the quality of anything. If you think you hear a difference you are mistaken.

Anything is possible, sometimes we need to think outside the box of modern scientific knowledge. Just because we aren't capable of scientifically proving a mains product works means very little. Modern science/technology isn't capable of replicatining the pyramids of Egypt to the same precision, yet they have been standing there for thousands of years......

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
MattSPL said:
alienmango said:

rant over.

Such as?

Having spent the last 20 years dabbling in Hifi, I've had my fair share of equipmet in various price ranges and have tried all sorts of cables and snake oil.
One thing I have spent a lot of time on is swapping cables, trying different terminations on cables, single, bi and tri wiring, mains cables and fuses, and contact cleaning. I was able to hear differences in most cases, some subtle, others quite profound.

A few years ago now, I came to the conclusion that paying attention to the mains, be it contact cleaning, swapping cables, or fuses, made far more desireable improvements to the sound of my system than swapping interconnects or speaker cable. There is something that a good set of mains cables and fuses brings to a system that I have not been able to replicate by other means. The most simple analogy I can use to describe it would be to describe a car with a catalytic converter restricting the flow of things(Hifi system with standard cables and fuses) to a car with a decat(Hifi with upgraded mains cables and fuses). With a decat, the cars throttle response is sharper and less restricted, the same goes for the Hifi.

T

the record spot

TrevC said:

Don't go to the Hoffman forum, you'll have a fit...

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
MattSPL said:
Anything is possible, sometimes we need to think outside the box of modern scientific knowledge. Just because we aren't capable of scientifically proving a mains product works means very little.

Pretty sure that cables were made as a result of modern scientitic knowledge and they have to be researched and tested prior to manufacture. If there was some unknown quantity involved with them I'm pretty sure they'd be banned on safety grounds.

These are things mass built in a factory to specific specifications - not the work of skilled craftsmen.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
A power lead can work yet fail a PAT test.

If it is not working properly, such as incorrect/intermittent earthing could that affect the performance of a Hi-Fi system? If a cable is very well built would that negate any potential issues that a faulty yet working cable might cause?

Same can apply to other mains products such as 4-way extensions.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Someone called Golden Ears starts a topic on "mains cables, interconnects and speakers" - surely, no more needs to be said.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
MattSPL said:
TrevC said:
MattSPL said:
TrevC said:

Anything is possible, sometimes we need to think outside the box of modern scientific knowledge. Just because we aren't capable of scientifically proving a mains product works means very little. Modern science/technology isn't capable of replicatining the pyramids of Egypt to the same precision, yet they have been standing there for thousands of years......

Of course we could replicate the pyramids if we wanted to. Why on earth do you think we couldn't?

Chris

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Just trust your own ears - nobody else can really disagree if you like the way something sounds!

We have also written a couple of blogs on this almost limitless subject.

TrevC

MattSPL said:
TrevC said:
MattSPL said:
TrevC said:

:rofl:

TrevC

FennerMachine said:
A power lead can work yet fail a PAT test.

If it is not working properly, such as incorrect/intermittent earthing could that affect the performance of a Hi-Fi system? If a cable is very well built would that negate any potential issues that a faulty yet working cable might cause?

Same can apply to other mains products such as 4-way extensions.

A microwave can work and fail a PAT test. Many do, in fact, due to the large filter capacitor on the mains input. Doesn't make them work any less well than those that pass.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MattSPL said:
Anything is possible

Erm? No it not.

MattSPL said:
Just because we aren't capable of scientifically proving a mains product works means very little.

Because we aren't capable of scientifically proving a mains product works actually proves an awful lot.

MattSPL said:
Modern science/technology isn't capable of replicatining the pyramids of Egypt to the same precision, yet they have been standing there for thousands of years......

By using lasers we can now make measurements far more accurately that the acient Egyptians could.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
audioaffair said:
Just trust your own ears - nobody else can really disagree if you like the way something sounds!

We have also written a couple of blogs on this almost limitless subject.

It is in fact very limited, though quite a few people insist on saying otherwise.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
MattSPL said:
TrevC said:
MattSPL said:
TrevC said:

Of course we could replicate the pyramids if we wanted to. Why on earth do you think we couldn't?

Chris

It has been proven that even with today's technology we cannot replicate the Egyptian pyramids with the same accuracy. A group of scientists and engineers tried to build a small scale replica of the great pyramid with the exact alignment etc of the real one and they couldn't do it with the same accuracy.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
MattSPL said:
Anything is possible

Erm? No it not.

MattSPL said:
Just because we aren't capable of scientifically proving a mains product works means very little.

Because we aren't capable of scientifically proving a mains product works actually proves an awful lot.

MattSPL said:
Modern science/technology isn't capable of replicatining the pyramids of Egypt to the same precision, yet they have been standing there for thousands of years......

By using lasers we can now make measurements far more accurately that the acient Egyptians could.

see my last post. Even with lasers we cannot build with the accuracy of the Egyptians.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts