Cables, mains, interconnectors and speaker cables

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
The boy stood on the burning deck

His back against the mast

He said "I'm staying stood right here til the crafty Captain walks past"

Well the crafty Captain came along and tossed the boy a fritter

When said lad bent down to pick it up

He got one up his .............

Couldnt be bothered to sing this evening.

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
Golden Ears said:
BigH said:
Golden Ears said:
BigH said:
If you like Diana Krall how about Melody Gardot - My One And Only Thrill I like best of her albums.

I was listening to Glad Rag Doll earlier :)

I meant Melody Gardot not Diana Krall.

Sophie Zelmani - The ocean and me might be something you'd like

Already have 3 of her cds.

Nice,Judith Owen is another artist I recently stumbled across

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
But I thought that you could easily hear a difference between speaker cables.

I take it that means you don't want a million dollars then?
I dnt know what the rules are.. VAN DAN HUL THE FIRST IS A METAL FREE CABLE.. If this cable is within the rules of the test then I would gladly take the challange.. This cable is an interconnect not speaker cable. Shows you just talking blind then..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
steve_1979 said:

I dnt know what the rules are.. VAN DAN HUL THE FIRST IS A METAL FREE CABLE.. If this cable is within the rules of the test then I would gladly take the challange.. This cable is an interconnect not speaker cable. Shows you just talking blind then..

Why don't you use it?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
steve_1979 said:

If, native, u have the equipment and £500 for van de hun then let us know how it sounds. Otherwise, the thread changed direction dozens of posts ago cuz it woz goin nowhere.

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Native_bon said:
steve_1979 said:

If, native, u have the equipment and £500 for van de hun then let us know how it sounds. Otherwise, the thread changed direction dozens of posts ago cuz it woz goin nowhere.
He can take the Randi challenge for wallet listeners. I find preferences and sit happy. If he's stumbled across a holy grail of cables then that's great for him I've yet to find that expensive cables costing even more than £500 to offer more than a tonal difference that wouldn't warrant dipping my hands into my pockets. Home made have kept me more than impressed and when introduced the to the wallet listeners leaves them not the happiest people ;)

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
Native_bon said:
steve_1979 said:

Why don't you use it?

Are you asking me BigH? I'm not the owner of this beast nor would I think of using £500 or what ever it's price is :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Golden Ears said:
BigH said:
Native_bon said:
steve_1979 said:

Why don't you use it?

Are you asking me BigH? I'm not the owner of this beast nor would I think of using £500 or what ever it's price is :)

No I was asking Native bon.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Golden Ears said:
BigH said:
Native_bon said:
steve_1979 said:

Why don't you use it?

It's nearer £250, and it isn't metal free as you have to include the metal rca connectors in the signal path.

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
steve_1979 said:

if you're impressed that's really all that matters! You don't have to prove your preference to anyone! I've yet to experience this cable, we do have a dealer in Bergen so perhaps I'll arrange an in home trial. I'm not really in the market for a new cable as I make my own! However it is always nice to compare mine to others :)

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Well it's been a while! I took the plunge and invested in the Red Wave mains cable. I bought the bulk and got the plugs etc to assemble it. The result was quite amazing! All in I invested around £150 not beer money! But he'll he improvements found where worth every penny!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Golden Ears said:
Well it's been a while! I took the plunge and invested in the Red Wave mains cable. I bought the bulk and got the plugs etc to assemble it. The result was quite amazing! All in I invested around £150 not beer money! But he'll he improvements found where worth every penny!
I'msure they look nice and make you feel better. They don't actually have a sound though as you might realise if you bothered to test properly.

T

the record spot

Seeing as some of our American friends have recently been discussing the ludicrous claims around a $1000 USB cable, on another forum, £150 seems like a giveaway!

mmichbam

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
fr0g said:
Golden Ears said:
I'msure they look nice and make you feel better. They don't actually have a sound though as you might realise if you bothered to test properly.

Could you explain test properly please.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
mmichbam said:
fr0g said:
Golden Ears said:

Could you explain test properly please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABX_test

TrevC

It's amazing how easy it is to imagine differences that simply cannot exist. The OP is a classic example of the placebo effect in action, as are all the WHF reviews of mains products.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
It's amazing how easy it is to imagine differences that simply cannot exist. The OP is a classic example of the placebo effect in action, as are all the WHF reviews of mains products.

I'm willing to believe Placebo may play a part in people hearing improvements to their systems after adding mains products, but when person after person claims an improvement in performance and precisely describes how the sound changed for the better, It's too much evidence to ignore.

People who report increased performance with mains products always(in my experience) state the same findings, including increased bass power and depth and overall increased clarity. If it was placebo, surely there would be more veriety in what way the sound of the system improves as each persons expectations will be different.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
MattSPL said:
TrevC said:

I'm willing to believe Placebo may play a part in people hearing improvements to their systems after adding mains products, but when person after person claims an improvement in performance and precisely describes how the sound changed for the better, It's too much evidence to ignore.

People who report increased performance with mains products always(in my experience) state the same findings, including increased bass power and depth and overall increased clarity. If it was placebo, surely there would be more veriety in what way the sound of the system improves as each persons expectations will be different.

Unless they've read or have been told what they're supposed to hear... :?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
MattSPL said:
TrevC said:

Unless they've read or have been told what they're supposed to hear... :?

Yes, it's possible, but it seems when audio cables like interconnects and speaker cable are reviewed, every term in the hifi dictionary can be used by different people to describe the improvements to their system, yet with mains products, its a more limited choice of words describing the change in sound. It seems that bass power and depth increase with mains products, unless of course every person who uses mains products wishes for more bass power and depth, causing the same placebo each time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts