C320BEE lacks punch?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Anyways...Jazzy as was mentioned, if you really like the speakers and felt that the combination of B&W's and A5 suited your tastes more than the current setup, then don't hold onto the C320 BEE just because of other peoples opinion. At the end of the day, you want your music to sound right for you.

matthewpiano

jrwight:
Sorry if this is off track, but Matthew, you've done a bit of kit swapping over the past few months haven't you from what I've seen on the forums - just wondering how you're finding the Quad 11Ls in your latest setup....

Julienne

Well when I bought the Marantz CD63MkII KI Sig and Pioneer A400 I started off using the Quads and liked them a great deal. Something then made me try my old Wharfedale floorstanders and I stuck with those for a while, but I've put the Quads back on this week and, to be honest, they are in a different league. Detailed, clean sounding, dynamic, and involving with great transparency. They work really well with the electronics. I was listening to 'Starless & Bible Black' by King Crimson tonight and the rhythm and 'live' feel, particularly in the last two tracks, was incredible. On heavier rock and orchestral music they have plenty of weight as well, without ever getting boomy or slow sounding.

I have done a lot of kit swapping over the last 12 months but I've felt settled since the moment I got the Marantz and Pioneer, and I can't imagine changing those or the Quads for a long time now because I'm back to just enjoying the music again.

matthewpiano

jazzy639:
I think everyone has jumpted the bandwagen blaming the DM601 S3s for the lack of bass. These are very good speakers, won numerous rewards, etc etc. They sounded excellent with the A5, I thought buying the C320BEE would only make them sound better.

As commented, Hell Freezes Over is an incredible album, its worth a listen. I'm not looking for bass heavy speakers, I just feel that the bass is too quiet. It's like the amp is bass shy.

This is a bedroom setup, there is no room for any larger speakers that what I've got. Unfortunately I cannot do a side by side comparison to verify what I think as I sold the A5 when I got the C320BEE. However, i'm 99% sure there is less bass, unnaturally less. Listenting through the Sennheiser phones or a pair of Sleek Audio IEMs shows more bass than whats there.

I'm not looking for lots of bass, just something that sounds right. With the A5, there were a few times where I plugged the port on the speakers as it sounded better.

Bottom line is, there was adequate bass with the A5, less with the C320BEE - I can't see how this can be the speakers. They are already big compared to the size of the room. They are about 1.6m apart, 70cm from back wall and I'm about 1.7m from the speakers (from the cones to my head). Its a small room, i'm close to the speakers.

I don't see why the speakers should be changed when the change of amp caused the issue.

Something is only better if you hear it and believe it to be better. Price, reviews, other people's opinions etc mean absolutely nothing if you are not enjoying the sound and your music. Look at me - I've been through Cambridge 740C/740A and Denon DCD1500/PMA1500 as well as Arcam equipment in recent months and I've ended up far more satisfied with my current Marantz CD63 MkII KI-Signature and Pioneer A400. Reviews, price, and the passage of time would suggest my system should be far behind the others things I've tried but my ears tell me very different. As its me who is listening on a daily basis, its my ears that are right. Exactly the same applies to you.

A

Anonymous

jazzy639:
emotion-1.gif
I know the C320BEE is a better amp. Its just better, thats what I keep telling myself. So going back to the A5 is like downgrading.

The best amp for you is the one that sounds best on your system, not the one that happens to be the flavour of the month.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies everyone. The reason I don't really want to go back to the A5 is I'll be back where I started. I was looking for something better than than what I had so may now consider the BR2s.

I did look at the BR2s before buying the DM601 S3s. I can't remember why I chose the B&Ws over the MAs...#

My local dealer has a pair of BR2s for demo however they do not stock NAD amps. What amp do you suggest I try them with? Also, since speakers always sound different at home, in your system, can you try speakers out at home?

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS