Buying speakers to match Arcam - audition over, time to buy.

theFan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
In another thread I asked for advice on speakers to audition and i also explained that i'm in New Zealand so prices and availability are quite different to the UK.

Auditioning is over and it's time for action!

The short list is as follows:

- B&W 683 (1000GBP)

- Kef Q900 (750GBP)

- MA RX8 (1250GBP)

These will be bi-amped using an Arcam Alpha 8 integrated/power amp combo.

The problem i'm having is that i'm new to Hifi so don't have the listening experience to evaluate gear before buying it and i have no base system to judge it against.

My thoughts so far:

- the Kef looks good value for money but I won't be able to audition it for maybe 6 months because the only dealer is a 1 1/2 hour flight away - but they do ship and i'm fine with taking the gamble based on the opinion of others.

- the MA and the B&W sounded similar enough to my ears that I had no preference so i might as well save 250GBP and cut the MAs from the list.

Room is 4 metres by 7 metres (speakers on long wall) but semi open-plan on one side so effective area is bigger. Carpeted floors. I think the size of these speakers will be fine.

Listening to rock eg Led Zeppelin, Smashing Pumpkins and acoustic type rock eg Ben Harper, Jack Johnson and even some pop eg Adele.

What do you guys recommend???

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Prolly not much help, but go with what you like the sound of best.

To me, the MA RX8 sounded better than the B&W 683 (more detailed to my ears, but I'm a sucker for information overload) and are traditionally regarded as being a good match with Arcam, but I've not heard the combination myself.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If you couldn't hear a difference between the M.As and the B&Ws. Buy the B&Ws and pocket the extra £250.:)

FWIW, I use B&W with my Arcams and think it sounds great.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have an Alpha 9 and have just put my B&W 603s3 on the end of it and they are sounding a very good match, however I must add that my old Alpha 5 didn't have the oomph at low volumes to get the best out of them.

I have only heard the 683 on demo and I prefered the 684 which could be a cheaper option, thought they were great with rock and reggae, just my opinion tho'

Good Luck

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have some Sony floorstanders which were made by Kef and they were fabulous with my Arcam 5.

Briefly heard the new R700's yesterday and they deserve some further investigation but thats for another thread.

Don't think I'm helping the op#s decision here, sorry !

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:
I have some Sony floorstanders which were made by Kef and they were fabulous with my Arcam 5.

Briefly heard the new R700's yesterday and they deserve some further investigation but thats for another thread.

Don't think I'm helping the op#s decision here, sorry !

The R700 are exceptionally good.....look forward to your thoughts vs Proacs.

TRENDING THREADS