Buying p7s on eBay. Warranty from b&w?

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
If I buy a new unopened set of p7s from eBay seller. Will I have any warranty with b&w?? Got my eye on a set!!

would have thought no, unless I can register the product after opening box. Would have thought a till receipt would be required though??

thanks

john

D

Deleted member 2457

john1000000boy said:
If I buy a new unopened set of p7s from eBay seller. Will I have any warranty with b&w?? Got my eye on a set!!

would have thought no, unless I can register the product after opening box. Would have thought a till receipt would be required though??

thanks

john

There should just be a code you register. Have you got a link to the eBay page?

D

Deleted member 2457

I can't see a link on the B&W page to register the warranty?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Headphones/Headphones/Headphones/P7.html?gclid=CL3nj9zk3b0CFekBwwodQasAaw#ep-component-j

gel said:
I can't see a link on the B&W page to register the warranty?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Headphones/Headphones/Headphones/P7.html?gclid=CL3nj9zk3b0CFekBwwodQasAaw#ep-component-j

Yes there is. Clicking the "register" link under "support", this page comes up:

https://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/your_account/manage_your_registered_products.html

From B&W website:

This warranty:

- Is valid only for products purchased from an authorised Bowers & Wilkins retailer or dealer.

- Is only valid for the original owner. It is not transferable.

- Is not valid for any counterfeit products. Any product received for service that Bowers & Wilkins determines is fake will not be returned. The sale and distribution of counterfeit products is illegal.

I don't think it's worth the £300 asking price. I'll prefer to pay £29 extra for the 2 year warranty. Better still, I'll pick one up from a duty free airport for discount + warranty.

I asked the seller if he has the receipt, and this is the response I got:

"I purchased them on eBay, so I don't have the original receipt, sorry."

So, even the seller cannot confirm the authencity of the product. It may well be a fake. I would avod personally.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you all. Will probably give it a swerve then. B&B you are quite right with regards to the warranty for an extra £30. Will be buying blind too as have not had a chance to get to john Lewis etc. the reviews certainly seem to be good though. I have not seen them at airports? Duty free is not a huge saving and won't be flying anytime soon. Dublin in June from Edinburgh.

Thanks

Someone bought P7s from Dixons duty free for £299 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681976/bowers-wilkins-p7-over-the-ear-headphones/600

There's a huge market of counterfeit products in China and few other countries. If B&W is a known brand there, fakes would've already been in the market by now.

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
The warranty has to be honored in the UK no matter what if it's a genuine product. Brand new you are pretty much coverd for about 3 to 4 years because headphones are expect to to last for quite a long time.

Keep the product number and serial number and you are good.

cabman

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Ryanr1987 said:
The warranty has to be honored in the UK no matter what if it's a genuine product. Brand new you are pretty much coverd for about 3 to 4 years because headphones are expect to to last for quite a long time.

Keep the product number and serial number and you are good.

i think you may be getting your warranties and guarantee mixed up wth your statutory rights as a consumer under the Sale and Supply of Goods Act(as amended).

A manufacturers guarantee is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer.

if buying from a private seller soga won't apply.

a manufacturer can set their own terms under warranty but can not limit your statutory rights.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Ryanr1987 said:
The warranty has to be honored in the UK no matter what if it's a genuine product. Brand new you are pretty much coverd for about 3 to 4 years because headphones are expect to to last for quite a long time. Keep the product number and serial number and you are good.

"No matter if it's genuine?" What?????

If you buy a fake Sennheiser, do you think Sennheiser will honor a warranty?

When you get a fake, you may get a "warranty" from whoever made or sold it, but when they send a replacement (several months later) it's not even going to sound the same.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
You can reserve it here, to collect from either Edinburgh or Dublin duty free:

http://www.dixonstravel.com/Bowers-Wilkins-P7-P1233C2.aspx

Speaking of which I had a listen while flying out of Luton (Dixons travel) To be honest I found them too bassy.

But back to the OP's question, if the person has proof of purchase and not registered them, then you can take the receipt off him and register it yourself.... They can't exactly prove it was not you who purchased them. Usually they only ask for the serial number and copy of the receipt. I have sent two things back to bowers in the past for and both times thats all they wanted.

As for fakes.... I doubt it very much too and you always have PayPal covering you. You cannot be sold a fake product on eBay as its against terms and conditions, any such breech would result in a full refund and the case decided in your favour..... How will you know its fake? When you register the product you will know right away.

As I said, make sure its not registered first and he/she has the receipt (importantly that receipt must not contain the persons name or you are snookered). Then of course you will have to trust thier word, and if they lied to you about the registration, then you have no grounds for a refund as you purchased a used item.

You see the hassle above - Just not worth it!

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Ryanr1987 said:
The warranty has to be honored in the UK no matter what if it's a genuine product. Brand new you are pretty much coverd for about 3 to 4 years because headphones are expect to to last for quite a long time. Keep the product number and serial number and you are good.

"No matter if it's genuine?" What?????

If you buy a fake Sennheiser, do you think Sennheiser will honor a warranty?

When you get a fake, you may get a "warranty" from whoever made or sold it, but when they send a replacement (several months later) it's not even going to sound the same.

Probably want a comma between "no matter what" and "if its a genuine product" to get the intended meaning?

duaplex said:
bigboss said:

Speaking of which I had a listen while flying out of Luton (Dixons travel) To be honest I found them too bassy.

But back to the OP's question, if the person has proof of purchase and not registered them, then you can take the receipt off him and register it yourself.... They can't exactly prove it was not you who purchased them. Usually they only ask for the serial number and copy of the receipt. I have sent two things back to bowers in the past for and both times thats all they wanted.

As for fakes.... I doubt it very much too and you always have PayPal covering you. You cannot be sold a fake product on eBay as its against terms and conditions, any such breech would result in a full refund and the case decided in your favour..... How will you know its fake? When you register the product you will know right away.

As I said, make sure its not registered first and he/she has the receipt (importantly that receipt must not contain the persons name or you are snookered). Then of course you will have to trust thier word, and if they lied to you about the registration, then you have no grounds for a refund as you purchased a used item.

I asked the seller (see the first page of this thread). He bought it from eBay and does not have a receipt. There's no way B&W will honour the warranty.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
duaplex said:
bigboss said:

I asked the seller (see the first page of this thread). He bought it from eBay and does not have a receipt. There's no way B&W will honour the warranty.

I see it now - You are correct BB.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I expected this would be the case. Interesting that you found them quite bassy duaplex. Have heard a number of reports regarding this.

A John Lewis trip will be on the cards I think.

Unless gel comes along with a hot deal.....

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
john1000000boy said:
Thanks for the info. I expected this would be the case. Interesting that you found them quite bassy duaplex. Have heard a number of reports regarding this.

A John Lewis trip will be on the cards I think.

Unless gel comes along with a hot deal.....

If you have a portable amp, take it with you as I found they would benefit from a decent amp, My S3 just didn't cut it. Pity I didnt have my Fiio, I would have loved to hear them with it! Do let us know how you get on though!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
pauln said:
dalethorn said:
Ryanr1987 said:
"No matter if it's genuine?" What????? If you buy a fake Sennheiser, do you think Sennheiser will honor a warranty? When you get a fake, you may get a "warranty" from whoever made or sold it, but when they send a replacement (several months later) it's not even going to sound the same.
Probably want a comma between "no matter what" and "if its a genuine product" to get the intended meaning?

Correct, in this case at least. But having dealt with fakes a lot, it's a big problem and we shouldn't say anything to encourage buying fakes, any more than downloading music illegally.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
pauln said:
dalethorn said:
Ryanr1987 said:
"No matter if it's genuine?" What????? If you buy a fake Sennheiser, do you think Sennheiser will honor a warranty? When you get a fake, you may get a "warranty" from whoever made or sold it, but when they send a replacement (several months later) it's not even going to sound the same.

Correct, in this case at least. But having dealt with fakes a lot, it's a big problem and we shouldn't say anything to encourage buying fakes, any more than downloading music illegally.

No one is encouraging the buying of fakes as far as I can see, you just misunderstood Ryan's post because of the missed comma. Possibly as well, the phrase "no matter what" is peculiar to 'English' English and not used in the same way in 'American' English? I don't know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts