Building a Cyrus-based system - speaker advice required!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all - this is my first time on the forum, so be gentle...!

Late last year I finally started to try seriously upgrading my 10 year old system (Rotel RCD-971 CD player, Rotel RA-971 amp, and supplemented by Wharfdale Diamond 9.1s when my KEF floorstanding were damaged during a house move).

Having subscribed to What Hi-Fi again, I was bitten by the upgrade bug - but one that's had to be very much on a budget. I have been reasonably lucky on ebay, having picked up a Cyrus CD8 for £170 and an 8vs for £300 - both offering immediate improvements. What I'm looking for advice on is suitable speakers to partner them with, probably in the £4-500 mark; either floorstanders or bookshelf speakers will do. I like a reasonably detailed sound (hence preference for Cyrus) but want something with a bit of drive and verve as well (but don't we all).

As a side issue, I also picked up a Chord Chameleon Silver Plus 0.5 cable for £45 to replace my ten year old Talk cable (unfortunately I don't know what model it was - it's purple and I was told it was around £50). However I've been slightly non-plussed as doing a like-for-like comparison I can tell absolutely no difference at all. I'm either a cloth-eared nincompoop...or is it that the 9.1s are just totally unable to deliver the refinement from the rest of the set-up. Can some one help/reassure me on this???

And....as a final aside, I'm driving the 9.1s using old(ish) cable - QED Profile Silver bi-wire cable, but current I am not bi-wiring from the Cyrus amp - I'm just sending a single wire from the Cyrus and using the bridging terminal on the 9.1s Is it worth getting more banana plugs and bi-wiring? I also have - for reasons too complicated to go into - about 20 metres of QED Qudos Silver 25th anniversary hanging around. Is it worth replacing the Profile with this? Or should I simply replace the cable with something new (ie Chord) when I replace the speakers?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'd be very grateful for others input at this point!

Cheers,

CHRIS

A

Anonymous

Hi funkpoparoll I auditioned cyrus 8cdse with the prevs2 and 8 power with the older spendor 5se's and the pmc Gb1i's. the Gb1i's were brilliant a crisper yet more refind sound with better base as well.This is what I will be buying as soon as I can.
I demoed them with the following music Santana:supernatural Eric Bibb and Eva cassidy, so a mixed range.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Nick21 - I'll have a look at those.

I also meant to say that I'll be looking at upgrading the 8 to 8SE as funds allow - I assume the performance benefits are more considerable than spending the money on a PSX....

A

Anonymous

funkpoparoll: I also meant to say that I'll be looking at upgrading the 8 to 8SE as funds allow - I assume the performance benefits are more considerable than spending the money on a PSX....

8 -> 8SE = night -> day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts