Budget Subwoofers...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was introduced to the glorious world of surround sound many years ago by a friend who gave me a few bits of his old equipment. From there I brought a cheap speaker package, then upgraded my amp, then one by one, pair by pair upgraded the speakers. Now I find myself with a half decent bit of kit.Tannoy Custom speakers running off of an old but fairly nice Yamaha Rx V557 (it has analogue input for HD Audio which keeps me happy)

Theres the history lesson...

Quite recently I had to let go of my Sub so I have been looking at a new one. Everywhere I look I find people recommeneding Mordaunt Short, REL or Wharfedale. All of which are capable of shifting furniture with their power however this isn't what I want or need. Frankly my speaker set up if probably too big for the room I have it in, what I am looking for is a sub that is agile and will add the depth to the overall sound. Some time back What Hi-Fi reviewed the Yamaha YST-FSW100 and it got a respectable 4 stars with the round up stating that it had speed and good depth but lacked the slam of other subs. This model has been replaced with the newer YST-FSW050 and the more powerful YST-FSW150. Which due to there size are very appealing, but if they don't have half decent performance to boot I'd have to give them a miss.

Does anyone out ther have any experience with these subs and are they worth a try?

Also is there any chance that What Hi-Fi will be doing a review of sub-£200 super-test or round-up?

A

Anonymous

Does everyone really have no opinion on Budget Sub Woofers?

Or is everyones opinion of a budget Subwoofer over £200?

A

Anonymous

I presume you have the Tannoy F4's if they are too big for your room. If these are indeed what you have then I don't think that you are going to get much of an improvement buying a sub for under £200. These speakers go pretty low and cheap subs don't go much lower than the F4's. The cheap subs are really to compliment small satellite speakers, not big floor standers.

I have the F4's and ran them without a sub for a couple of months before I bought the M&K KX12 sub from Hifix at a very good price (£329.00) and I thoroughly recomend it.

A

Anonymous

timwileman:John....

no idea about your question just ... your name...is your sirname wileman..?

Long lost brothers??

A

Anonymous

@Nibbo:
Thanks for for the reply! I actually have the F1s all round. My front room however is only 9ft by 12ft, downside to living near london, everything is so expensive. The F1s are good but they do lack that certain oomph! Thanks for the recommendation but I think it's a little out of my budget at nearly £400 the ball and chain would be very mad!

@Tim. Yes, Wileman is my surname.

A

Anonymous

I'd still be tempted to spend a little more than £200. Maybe the Wharfedale SW150, it has an excellent review here.

A

Anonymous

I will definately consider it. Aside from the size of the room the positioning is a bit of a problem. The only place you'd be able to put the sub is in a corner which people seem to think is a no-no or right but the sofa where I will not get the directionless feel that you really need from a sub.

True, I've seen the Wharfedale SW150 for just under £200 but its the justification. I never really have it turned up loud enough. I think I'm just going to have to work out an alternative.

Thanks for your input Nibbo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts