budget amp for ma rx6

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a rega brio 3 but i am considering selling it and buying a rotel ra 04 se.

Would that be better? Someone any advice?

A

Anonymous

From your sig. I see you are using a ps3 as a cd player. You would probably get more improvement adding a budget cd player or a dac. From what I've read the cd playback on the ps3 is not up to much. Rubbish in = rubbish out.

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought an old technics cd player as a cd source and use my ps3 mainly to stream flac files.

A dacmagic is one of my intended upgrades. An old cd player as a transport "upgraded by a dac must sound better then the noisy ps3.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree

The Rotel RA04SE is too much of a sideway step (if not a little backwards IMO)

I think you'd be best to upgrade the CDP first with the likes of a Marantz CD6003 or a Rega Apollo if you can find one within budget. The likes of an Arcam CD72 or CD73 would be ideal.

As for amp upgrade; minimum spec you should look at IMO would be the NAD C355BEE and then up from there (Creek Evo II, Arcam FMJ A28, Leema Pulse, Rotel RA06SE, Rotel RA1520, Rega Mira, Marantz PM7003 etc...)

d_a_n1979:I agree The Rotel RA04SE is too much of a sideway step (if not a little backwards IMO) I think you'd be best to upgrade the CDP first with the likes of a Marantz CD6003 or a Rega Apollo if you can find one within budget. The likes of an Arcam CD72 or CD73 would be ideal. As for amp upgrade; minimum spec you should look at IMO would be the NAD C355BEE and then up from there (Creek Evo II, Arcam FMJ A28, Leema Pulse, Rotel RA06SE, Rotel RA1520, Rega Mira, Marantz PM7003 etc...)

Given that the OP mentions "budget amp" I still reckon Arcam A85 (or depending on size of listening room, A65+). Otherwise, Creek Evo MKI or Roksan Kandy LIII would make a cracking combo.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
aliahk: I have a rega brio 3 but i am considering selling it and buying a rotel ra 04 se.

Would that be better? Someone any advice?

If you like the sound of the Brio, try and pick up a used Elicit. The Brio will definitely be the more composed amplifier compared to the RA04se, but Rotel for me has always been quite pokey, and you should find they'll perk the RX6's up a bit - the Rotel has plenty of current and drive to grip awkward speakers, more so than the competition.

T

the record spot

Or alternatively, if you can, try out a used Arcam Alpha 10, roughly £350-400 secondhand. That'll deliver more than the likes of a £250-300 new one.

A

Anonymous

hi Aliahk, I have not listen to RA-04 SE before. But I have my RX6 with RA04, and I end up adding a Rotel power amp and a subwoofer. Maybe you can look at some... good/better power.. but older model amp, or if not.. just add in a subwoofer with your RA-04 SE.
emotion-55.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts