Brand watch : Cyrus

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

how about some threads on hi fi brands to either compliment or criticise a particular brand, titled 'brand watch' that people can add their experiences to. Not 'nature watch' or whatever that programme was.

Ive started it off with Cyrus. Have been through the range and I like most of their stuff and the sound, which is big on detail and dynamics and speed, and matched with the right speakers they are very good particularly signature stuff. Amps like the Cyrus one, 8dac are very well regarded. Expensive though.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
how about some threads on hi fi brands to either compliment or criticise a particular brand, titled 'brand watch' that people can add their experiences to. Not 'nature watch' or whatever that programme was.

Ive started it off with Cyrus. Have been through the range and I like most of their stuff and the sound, which is big on detail and dynamics and speed, and matched with the right speakers they are very good particularly signature stuff. Amps like the Cyrus one, 8dac are very well regarded. Expensive though. 

Ok great idea I'll go first old chap

Cyrus is ****

jjbomber

Ive started it off with Cyrus. Have been through the range and I like most of their stuff and the sound, which is big on detail and dynamics and speed, and matched with the right speakers they are very good particularly signature stuff. Amps like the Cyrus one, 8dac are very well regarded. Expensive though.

I'll go 3rd.

Initially I like the sound but after an hour listening to them, I find them very tiring. I listen to a lot of music, so they were not for me. On an audition in the shop they are fine, as indeed they are at home for a short listen. Anything over 1 CD was too much. So I understand why people buy their products, but they are not for me.

The other problem is their lack of customer service. They crowdfunded the Soundkey and I registered for this, but the purchase link never arrived. So I couldn't buy one. I enquired to Cyrus about this but they never replied to any of my emails.

S

SemiChronic

"Ok great idea I'll go first old chap

Cyrus is **** With Knobs On"

S

SemiChronic

Well thats upto him, hes offered everyone a demo.

I dont mind hearing about Cyrus, so long as i dont have to listen to it.

rainsoothe

grimharry said:
I think someone likes being the center of attention.

Maybe he's just enthusiastic. What's with the bashing on this forum? Can't we all just get along? Unless you like Yamaha and Rega amps, then your opinion on hi-fi can't be taken seriously. Joking, of course.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I like my Cyrus kit, but then I would say that, wouldn't I? The 5 amp has given me 16 years of faultless service. The CD player gets barely used, but is certainly better (to my ears) than the Arcam CD72 it replaced.

And let's not be too harsh... In a world where people buy Beats headphones, and Crossley sh*tcases, I think we have bigger criticisms to make than Cyrus!!!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
My second amp too many moons ago. Initialy quite impressive. Had a well defined but dry bottom end, was spacious and clear top end. But! was often glacial in the way it presented music. Very hard to listen to over extended periods. I eventually let my daughter use it and she shorted speaker terminals blowing the output transistors.

Based on that - I wouldn't buy Cyrus again.

tonky

steve_1979 said:
Am I the olny person who likes the look of Cytus kit?

Apparently so...., and you can't spell Cyrus.... ;-)

Cyrus, like Naim are 'marmite' brands with a sonic reproduction you are either going to love or loath.

....and I am sure the rest of the olny people will agree with me. ;--)

insider9

Al ears said:
steve_1979 said:

Apparently so...., and you can't spell Cyrus....   ;-)

Cyrus, like Naim are  'marmite' brands with a sonic reproduction you are either going to love or loath.

....and I am sure the rest of the olny people will agree with me.  ;--)

Is that what people think about Naim? Interesting...

Pros

1. Distinctive design and style

2. British design/heritage

3. Long standing brand, and Mission heritage (iirc)

4. A musician relative of mine has an amp and CD from Cyrus and it has been reliable.

Cons

1. I've never cared for the sound - too bright and lacking heft

2. Most models look fairly poorly finished

3. Designs and new models seem to have stagnated in recent years, aside from the recent new Cyrus 1 amp. (Where is the partnering kit?)

4. Appearance now dated to my eyes.

That's about as balanced as I can be, but confess there is nothing about the models I've seen, or the brand, that particularly appeals.

insider9 said:
Al ears said:
steve_1979 said:

Apparently so...., and you can't spell Cyrus.... ;-)

Cyrus, like Naim are 'marmite' brands with a sonic reproduction you are either going to love or loath.

....and I am sure the rest of the olny people will agree with me. ;--)
Is that what people think about Naim? Interesting...
I think where there are fans who are passionate about something, detractors appear with equally strong dislikes. Think of Apple and BMW for example.

Gray

Andrewjvt said:
how about some threads on hi fi brands to either compliment or criticise a particular brand, titled 'brand watch' that people can add their experiences to. Not 'nature watch' or whatever that programme was.

Ok great idea I'll go first old chap

Cyrus is ****

And yet WHF turned you down for that job as a reviewer.

D

Deleted member 160668

I'm no expert, but I'm not massively impressed with my Cyrus setup. A fair bit of detail, but nowhere near as good as my old Linn setup.

Pros: small, so fits easily into the room. I like the Tri-Arbour rack. Mrs is accepting of it over a stack of full sized units.

Cons: just lacks something. Bass is poor. Doesn't give me "the fizz".

Bye bye Cyrus. I'm starting over.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Interesting comments. The signature stuff is better than most Cyrus stuff and probably people aren't referring to that here.

But interesting too the guy with a creek amp talking about cyrus being bad, but isn't referring to like for like quality. Maybe an 8dac. But then lots of people here believe relatively cheap amps compete with £10k electronics, right? And you make the same comparisons between brands on same basis, right?

but if I didn't like naim cooking amp sound, and you were to give me naim premium stuff, I'd bite your arm off, because as you go up the range it's generally a lot better.

further insults coming no doubt.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Didnt say it was bad, I sad it was too bright for me and didn't do classical very well.

With reference to the creek amp may I suggest you look at an old stereophile review circa 2007 regarding the creek destiny. After all I'm sure my opinion is worthless compared to professional reviewers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
tonky said:
...Initialy quite impressive. Had a well defined but dry bottom end, was spacious and clear top end... ...Very hard to listen to over extended periods...

Sounds like a girl I used to know.

Did you ABX her....was only one of you blind, or was it a double blind affair? *diablo*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts