Question Cyrus upgrade path?

Sandy Taylor

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I have had Cyrus kit for 15 or 16 years and have always stuck with it.
I have for many years loved the brand and taken advantage of their upgrade pathway.
My current CD player is the CD XT Signature which I upgraded to from the CD XT SE2 a couple of years ago.
What was the Cyrus flagship transport is no longer available, and neither is there an upgrade path to the new CDT XR or whatever the new model is named.

surely, not having the upgrade pathway to the new top model goes against ever Cyrus stands for?

I never used it, but thought it was a worthwhile option. The difference between an Arcam Alpha 7 and 9 might not have been night and day, but the upgrade cost in comparison with buying new probably made it more justifiable in cash terms.
This was the DIVA range. Each upgrade IIRC was £400. If you owned the CD82 which retailed at £600 but you just replaced it with new 192, that cost £900. The maths doesn't make sense by upgrading the 82 to the 192.

Similar money upgrade the Cyrus CD6 to the 8.

Reactions: Al ears
They did it for the Alpha range too - and a lot depends upon what you get for the old one if you sell it. It won't be worth what you paid for it. Assuming it's charitably worth half what you paid for it at resale, it's cheaper to upgrade than replace. Of course there's wear and tear to consider etc.

And if you think about it, why should it have been cheaper to buy a lesser model and upgrade that simply to buy the higher spec in the first instance? They would sell far fewer of the higher spec ones if that were the case, and the upgrade presumably meant checks, maintenance, a warranty etc. They wouldn't have come for nothing.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Ahhh, Cyrus! I have an original Cyrus One, purchased in Chicago in 1985, along with Mission 700s, back when there were several excellent audio stores in the city. All three are still working impressively as my secondary set-up. I even have the original box, etc,. at least for the One. Continuing satisfaction, along with nostalgia and appreciation for the system that launched my music appreciation. and the love for highly-satisfying, good-enough-for-me sound.. The launch of the very cool, unique One coincided with WOWs for/from a new media: CDs, which I still appreciate, even if mostly for my ripping requirements. Cyrus upgrades got too expensive for me over the years, although I still follow its equipment some; but the One also made me appreciate the value of, and taste for integrated amps with good phono stages.

I like my Onkyo carousel player, and their single-disc player which a relative owns, may be the best value in audio. I also flirted with a Teac PD 301 last year just because it looks so great in black.

Enjoy your shopping!

Reactions: Gray

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Ahhh, Cyrus! I have an original Cyrus One, purchased in Chicago in 1985, along with Mission 700s, back when there were several excellent audio stores in the city. All three are still working impressively as my secondary set-up. I even have the original box, etc,. at least for the One. Continuing satisfaction, along with nostalgia and appreciation for the system that launched my music appreciation. and the love for highly-satisfying, good-enough-for-me sound.. The launch of the very cool, unique One coincided with WOWs for/from a new media: CDs, which I still appreciate, even if mostly for my ripping requirements. Cyrus upgrades got too expensive for me over the years, although I still follow its equipment some; but the One also made me appreciate the value of, and taste for integrated amps with good phono stages.

I like my Onkyo carousel player, and their single-disc player which a relative owns, may be the best value in audio. I also flirted with a Teac PD 301 last year just because it looks so great in black.

Enjoy your shopping!
I too have a working original Cyrus One (with original packing) connected to Kef speakers. I find the One holds up well against modern day amps so in terms of sound quality what is there to upgrade?

Gray

I too have a working original Cyrus One (with original packing) connected to Kef speakers. I find the One holds up well against modern day amps so in terms of sound quality what is there to upgrade?
Well I did get an improvement changing from Cyrus to (20 year later) Cyrus - but no more than expected based on retail prices.
(I got the new one because of a £1000 discount).

There's a lot to be said for older, original gear, especially when you're familiar and happy with the sound.
If you ever do decide to sell, with original packing, there's even a chance that you'll get back more than you paid in real terms 👍

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Well I did get an improvement changing from Cyrus to (20 year later) Cyrus - but no more than expected based on retail prices.
(I got the new one because of a £1000 discount).

There's a lot to be said for older, original gear, especially when you're familiar and happy with the sound.
If you ever do decide to sell, with original packing, there's even a chance that you'll get back more than you paid in real terms 👍
Cost me £180 in the late 80s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts