Brand new OM5E stylus skipping.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I’ve just fitted a direct replacement Ortofon OM5E stylus to my Pro-ject Elemental. I’ve double checked the tracking force and it’s within the correct range. It’s currently at 1.79 grams as it was with the old stylus. Nothing has changed apart from the stylus which is exactly the same model as before.

However upon trying it out with a few records, it‘s skipping on new bass heavy vinyl. This wasn’t happening before the stylus change. I haven‘t touched the cartridge alignment only un plugged the old stylus and plugged in the new one.

Does this suggest I have a faulty stylus out of the box? Thanks for any replies.

Hi guys,

I’ve just fitted a direct replacement Ortofon OM5E stylus to my Pro-ject Elemental. I’ve double checked the tracking force and it’s within the correct range. It’s currently at 1.79 grams as it was with the old stylus. Nothing has changed apart from the stylus which is exactly the same model as before.

However upon trying it out with a few records, it‘s skipping on new bass heavy vinyl. This wasn’t happening before the stylus change. I haven‘t touched the cartridge alignment only un plugged the old stylus and plugged in the new one.

Does this suggest I have a faulty stylus out of the box? Thanks for any replies.
It does.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It probably seems strange to be asking, but what’s got me confused is the fact that it seems to be one particular record which is having skipping issues in random places.

I’ve tried 5 records with the new stylus and only one has been skipping, yet if I try the same record again it will skip in different places.

I have another Pro-ject Elemental in my second system and no issues at all playing the same material on that one as a comparison.

just seems a bit odd to me.

It probably seems strange to be asking, but what’s got me confused is the fact that it seems to be one particular record which is having skipping issues in random places.

I’ve tried 5 records with the new stylus and only one has been skipping, yet if I try the same record again it will skip in different places.

I have another Pro-ject Elemental in my second system and no issues at all playing the same material on that one as a comparison.

just seems a bit odd to me.
What cartridge do you have in the Elemental?
Perhaps if record is warped or a bad pressing some cartridges are more forgiving.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I’ve two Elementals, both with the same Ortofon OM5E. I’ve renewed the stylus on one of them and I’m having issues with one record on the new stylus.

The new stylus was bought on line. I’ve just bought another from my local Richer Sounds, this one seems to be perfect. So it does look like the one purchased online from eBay is defective.

Already contacted the seller for a refund upon me returning it.

Just seems so strange, it sounded fine and was playing everything except one new record. Anyway my impatience got the better of me and I went to town for one instead of waiting on postage etc...

Thanks for your input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts